• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Broke Lease

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
What is the name of your state? TX

I got a phone call from a debt collector explaining that I owed $3073.45 to an apartment complex (The Coventry at Cityview) I lived at in Ft. Worth, Texas in 2001. While I lived there both my roommates took off and left me with the rent. I stay as long as I could, but I could not afford the rent alone. I spoke with the complex and told them my situation and left. Yesterday 06/12/2006 we the first time I have heard from the apartments since July of 2001 and it was by a debt collector. They told me they had spoken with another of the roomates on the lease and since I had the better credit score and have a mortgage that I would be persuaded and hurt the worst from the situation since the statue of limitation was 7 years. I thought it was 4 year I may be wrong. They also told me that they would make deal for $1536.73 and that my ex-roomate would pay $1000.00 if I covered the $536.73, but both would have to agree or it would effect my credit. Is this true and what is the staue of limiation for collecting on rental contract? Do I need to worry about a my house?

Hot Topic

Senior Member
Go to the Credit Problems forum for advice on dealing with the debt collectors and the statute of limitations on collecting a debt. It certainly wouldn't take me this long to deal with a tenant who had stiffed me.


Senior Member
rahe1213 said:
Is this true
If you mean, can they post a negative to your credit, yes. The period that any account can be reported to a CRA is 7 years.

and what is the staue of limiation for collecting on rental contract?
The SOL in Texas on written or open accounts is four years. Tell them to eat crap.

Do I need to worry about a my house?
Nope. Even if they got a judgment, your homestead is exempt under Texas law.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential