• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

broken employment contract

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mtmason

I have been working for my employer for eight months. At the initial interview I was promised a sum of money. I accepted the position, and began working for the company. For the first two weeks my employer did not have a contract ready for me to sign, and I began working on only verbal terms. After three weeks, my employer finally gave me a written contract and it portrayed nothing that was agreed to during the interview. Settling for the lower hourly wage, I continued to work for the company because I had already quit my last position. When I received my first paycheck, and from that time forward, my paychecks did not represent the written contract. I am receiving a salary that is even lower that the promised contractual amount. When I spoke with my employer about the discrepancy he simply stated that if I wanted more money, then he would need to add more duties to my contract. I could probably go to small clam’s court and get the money that is owed to me, but I want to know if I can seek discipline for my employer. I am aware of two other girls in my office that have quit this particular company for the very same reasons.

Am I wasting my time?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mtmason:
I have been working for my employer for eight months. At the initial interview I was promised a sum of money. I accepted the position, and began working for the company. For the first two weeks my employer did not have a contract ready for me to sign, and I began working on only verbal terms. After three weeks, my employer finally gave me a written contract and it portrayed nothing that was agreed to during the interview. Settling for the lower hourly wage, I continued to work for the company because I had already quit my last position. When I received my first paycheck, and from that time forward, my paychecks did not represent the written contract. I am receiving a salary that is even lower that the promised contractual amount. When I spoke with my employer about the discrepancy he simply stated that if I wanted more money, then he would need to add more duties to my contract. I could probably go to small clam’s court and get the money that is owed to me, but I want to know if I can seek discipline for my employer. I am aware of two other girls in my office that have quit this particular company for the very same reasons.

Am I wasting my time?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

It's now time to teach Mr. Employer a lesson. In every contract, there is an implied covenant of good-faith and fair dealing. You need to see an employment attorney for causes of action, just to name a few, concerning: 1. Breach of Contract; 2. Contractual Bad Faith; and 3. Bad Faith Denial of Contract. Your damages are "actual" damages - the difference in your actual pay versus the contract amount, and punitive damages. In other words, you don't make a contact, only to ignore it; and / or make a contract, only to change the conditions during the term of the contract, without mutual assent. He also must be taught a lesson that he cannot say, "I'll pay you more, but I have to give you more duties." There's no consideration for the "more duties" because you and he have already agreed upon a sum certain for your current duties. You know, the more I write about this, the more incensed I'm becoming. Please keep us informed of your attorney/client consultation, and any actions you and your attorney are going to take. I would really like to keep tabs on this one.

Thanks for writing, and . . .

Go get 'em !!

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">