• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Broken lease

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

suggestions?

I reside in Arizona. I gave notice to my landlord and roommates intent to vacate prior to my lease ending. I think I'm supposed to fill my room to be off the hook. The landlord agreed to release me regardless of finding a new roommate and would allow the other 2 roommates to take a 2 bedroom instead, or get a new third roommate. They did not want to move, nor did they want me to fill the room. They wanted to fill the room themselves. In all ads they listed an occupancy date of a month after I vacated, asked for a deposit which we did not have to pay and increased the rent amount being asked by $120 dollars per month. Having left the room empty for a month, they are threatening to sue me for the rent. I offered repeatedly to find a roommate and have attemtped to settle this out of court and have had both offers refused. I don't feel I should be held responsible under the circumstances of them refusing to let me fill the room and then asking an outrageous amount for rent. Any suggestions?

W

Wgoodrich

Not a lawyer but am a landlord. You sign a contract or lease for a definite period of time you are liable for that period of time whether you live there or not as long as that room stays empty.

Now a lot of times arbitration steps in and the deals you are speaking of tend to be agreed upon and all are happy. Sounds like your roommates are trying to have you hold the bag because you moved out.

Your choices as I see them are threaten to move back in. I suspect a new deal will be offered either before you move back in or after you move in and don't live up to the way they expect you to live. Make them uncomfortable. Make it easy for them to get rid of you. But this time do it in writing.

Or get it in writing that the landlord agrees to forgive you from the lease.

Or subpenae your landlord as a witness if you do experience litigation and provide the adds they had in the paper as evidence.

Good Luck

Wg

J

Jack Mevorach, Esq.

If they take you to court, you may have a successful defense. Suggestion: start to document all this, if you haven't done so already. These documents are proof at trial.

S

suggestions?

The only documentation I have is a flyer she made on my computer (it is still on my hard drive). It does not say the date the room is available, only the amount of rent being asked. Would this have any value in court?

W

Wgoodrich

Any documentation supporting your claims would be of value in your defense if litigation proceeds.

Good Luck

Wg

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">