• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Broken Promise

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

Stumpy66

My daughter received a dear Jane letter from her fiance approx. six weeks before the wedding. In the letter the fiance stated that he was calling off the wedding because he was unsure about marriage and in fact had been unsure all along. He was aware that we were making financial committments regarding the wedding, but gave no hint of wanting out of the potential marriage until after we had passed the call it off without financial penalty. We're not receiving any refunds for flowers, reception hall, photo advance, etc. We also have several costly engraved items which can't be recycled. Do we have any legal recourse?
We live in Florida. He asked her to marry him in Hawaii! He is a Naval Officer.

[Edited by Stumpy66 on 12-14-2000 at 11:01 AM]

LegalBeagle

Stumpy66 said:
My daughter received a dear Jane letter from her fiance approx. six weeks before the wedding. In the letter the fiance stated that he was calling off the wedding because he was unsure about marriage and in fact had been unsure all along. He was aware that we were making financial committments regarding the wedding, but gave no hint of wanting out of the potential marriage until after we had passed the call it off without financial penalty. We're not receiving any refunds for flowers, reception hall, photo advance, etc. We also have several costly engraved items which can't be recycled. Do we have any legal recourse?
We live in Florida. He asked her to marry him in Hawaii! He is a Naval Officer.

[Edited by Stumpy66 on 12-14-2000 at 11:01 AM]
Have her write to his commanding officer.. no idea what good it will do but they take responsibility very seriously in the militery. You could also sue in small claims court but I have no idea of your chances.

A

Aviator

I am not an attorney but I would suggest as a first course of action that you confront this individual and request that he make retribution (at least in part) for your expenses. If he refuses to cooperate I strongly suggest you contact his "Commanding Officer" and explain what has happened. I assure you, he will be questioned as to your allegations and he "Will Be Reprimanded". The military takes responsibility and discipline very seriously. If the results are not to your satisfaction,you might also try small claims court (you may have a hard time proving financial liability on his part) and this would in turn also look bad on his Navy record. Good luck!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">