• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Broker changed interest rate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nanomini

What is the name of your state? PA

We are set to settle on my house next fri 6/24, or so we thought. We had signed a disclosure package from our mortgage broker stating that our interest rates would be 6.5 and 7.75 for our 80/15 loan and I thought we were good to go.

Today I received an email stating that our 2nd loan has been raised from 7.75 to 8% because our broker couldn't verify enough assets. I remembered that we didn't report our 401k in our application so I brought this up with her. She said it wouldn't matter anyway because rates went up and it doesn't make a significant difference.

Can our interest rate to just raise like that prior to closing even if we signed a disclosure with a lower rate?What is the name of your state?

HUD-1

If you do not have a written rate lock contract, then you are floating until closing. (ie, subject to daily changes in the interest rate until closing) Rate locks are usually good for a specified amount of time and in many cases, the lender will charge a rate lock fee.

efflandt

I know that an IRA cannot be used as collateral for a loan and I doubt if a 401k could be either, since those are protected from creditors. So retirement accounts would not even be a consideration.

Until you get approved and unless you get a rate lock or close, the rate is subject to change.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">