• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Brokers rights to commission

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

Kyle Frieze

I have a broker who I listed with and who was informed via voice mail that there was a party excluded from the contract. Subsequently, the excluded party accepted my counter offer through my previous listing agent and a contract for sale was signed. The new broker is demanding commission on the sale. Will I legally have to pay two commissions? This is occurring in North Dakota.

What do I do, prior to the closing to resolve this issue?

HomeGuru

Legally you owe commissions to each agent. The old one based on procurring cause and the new one based on the listing contract. The exclusion should have been written in on the listing agreement. I suggest you talk to an attorney and have him/her negotiate a lower fee for both.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">