• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Builder forgot to priovide permit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ambe0487

What is the name of your state?I'm from Iowa, and we just purchased new construction on the July 20th, 2005 . I called to authorized water to be switched into our names on July 12th.
Today I called the water company because we haven’t gotten a bill for the water since we moved in!
Well, the water company told me that the builder forgot to supply a permit stating that the building was going to be occupied, so they couldn’t switch the water to our name until they had the permit. The builder finally provided the permit on the 22nd of August.

So I asked her if we needed to pay the water company for our part of the bill. She said you owe nothing until the builder comes to you wanting payment.

Wouldn't it be the responsibility of the builder to acquire all required permits. If they don't; wounldn't it be their responsibility to pay the bill for not complying with state law?
I want to be sure that they can't come back on us for thier mistake.

Thanks for your advice!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">