• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Builder Moved Cluster Mailbox

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Nesh1120

I went under contract on my lot, closed on my home and have been living in it for 7 months with the cluster mailbox in the same location from day one. Today the builder moved the box in front of my home. I am livid! I would never have chosen this lot with a large black double cluster box in front. The builder lied and said that the USPS is responsible for the placement, but when I spoke to the Supervisor at the USPS he advised that they absolutely to do not decide the placement of the cluster boxes - they just service them. Do I have any recourse to have it moved to another location?

Just Blue

I went under contract on my lot, closed on my home and have been living in it for 7 months with the cluster mailbox in the same location from day one. Today the builder moved the box in front of my home. I am livid! I would never have chosen this lot with a large black double cluster box in front. The builder lied and said that the USPS is responsible for the placement, but when I spoke to the Supervisor at the USPS he advised that they absolutely to do not decide the placement of the cluster boxes - they just service them. Do I have any recourse to have it moved to another location?
What state

quincy

Send a demand letter to the builder informing the builder that your property has been devalued by the placement of the mailboxes on your property and you expect compensation and/or an immediate removal of the boxes. The letter can be more effective coming from the office of an attorney.

quincy

I think the property's value is decreased either way.

I know someone who just this week was told that the surveyor in a new development was off by over a foot on the property lines and the residents needed to move their landscaping and water sprinkler lines to accommodate the surveyor's error. The residents are, naturally, upset and considering suit against the developer.

A developer cannot sell property then change the conditions of the property after the sale.

Nesh1120

Are the mailboxes on your land, or simply in front of your land.
It's technically on what is common space. A new piece of concrete was poured directly next to my property line for this. It is townhome community. However, as the very first person to go under contract in this community I had the option of selecting a lot that was desirable to me and had the mailbox been there at that time I would not have. I have a photo of the placement, but can't figure out how to upload a photo here - if that's even an option.

quincy

It's technically on what is common space. A new piece of concrete was poured directly next to my property line for this. It is townhome community. However, as the very first person to go under contract in this community I had the option of selecting a lot that was desirable to me and had the mailbox been there at that time I would not have. I have a photo of the placement, but can't figure out how to upload a photo here - if that's even an option.
If the mailboxes are not on or in front of your property, you probably have little legal recourse.

quincy

Below is a photo from my bedroom window.

Can you plant a bush on your property that hides your view of the box?

I know homeowners also complain about fire hydrant placement in their yards or telephone poles. Some things are beyond your legal ability to control, however. I am afraid the mailbox might be one of those things.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">