• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Building an addition and the drywall contractor said this:

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rsenner96

I signed a contract to have the drywall done in a new addition that I am putting on my house. The day after the contractor cashed the check he stated, "Just to be clear, finishing drywall around doors and windows is not included in the price". It has been two and a half months and I feel he is about half finished according to the contract. The contract said nothing about the doors and windows not being included. "Bullnose where required" is in the contract. The windows and doors have drywall wrapping them, bullnose is next. The contract also states, "taping inside seams" which is not getting done. I want him gone. My question is twofold, #1: Because he is not doing and doors or windows can I fire him for breach of contract? #2: If I cannot, what is considered "in a timely matter"? It has been 2.5 months and the taping of the seams is not even complete. It is holding up the project and I am getting a bit "annoyed" is a better word then I want to say. Any help would be much appreciated !! Rick

Last edited:

quincy

How do you believe he has breached the contract?

If there was no mention of doors and windows in the contract, he hasn't breached the contract in that respect.

Was there a completion date noted in the contract? Or was the contract vague, saying only that the work should be completed "in a timely manner?"

You potentially can give the drywaller a deadline to complete the work.

Have you paid him in full already?

quincy

When the contractor walked through the house and gave me a bid I thought it would be everything, doors and windows are a big part of everything. There was no date for completion in the contract but what is too long, 6 months two years, 10 years? I did not pay him in full. I have the tile setter coming in two weeks and passed this onto him today.
I wouldn't expect a drywaller to be hired to install windows and doors. I would expect him to install drywall.

How long is "reasonable?" That is a good question. Apparently your drywaller thinks reasonable is far longer than you (or I) find reasonable. Because your contract was vague, now is a good time to make it less vague. Give the drywaller a date when you need the work completed.

You were smart not to pay the drywaller in full.

rsenner96

I wouldn't expect a drywaller to be hired to install windows and doors. I would expect him to install drywall.

How long is "reasonable?" That is a good question. Apparently your drywaller thinks reasonable is far longer than you (or I) find reasonable. Because your contract was vague, now is a good time to make it less vague. Give the drywaller a date when you need the work completed.

You were smart not to pay the drywaller in full.
No, not install windows and doors. Finish around the windows and doors with drywall and bullnose. I fixed the original post. I'm glad you said that.

quincy

What if he would have said, "By the way ceilings are not included"?
Did he?

A good contract spells out everything with specificity so that there can be no question as to what is expected. I would have written that "drywall for four walls, ceiling, around windows and doors in XX room (and perhaps give all dimensions) is to be completed by X date."

Sorry I misunderstood what you meant before by "windows and doors." Your clarification makes far more sense. :)

rsenner96

Was bullnose around the door included on the contract?
"Bullnose where required" is in the contract. The windows and doors have drywall wrapping them, bullnose is next. The contract also states, "taping inside seams" which is not getting done.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
"Bullnose where required" is in the contract. The windows and doors have drywall wrapping them, bullnose is next. The contract also states, "taping inside seams" which is not getting done.
Had you said that originally, it would have made things easier.

rsenner96

Had you said that originally, it would have made things easier.
I just added that to the original post. It's frustrating, he is also not doing the alcoves where three windows are in. What do you think, should I fire him?

Last edited:

quincy

I just added that to the original post. It's frustrating, he is also not doing the alcoves where three windows are in. What do you think, should I fire him?
I suggest you give him a deadline to finish the work first. If not completed, hire another contractor to finish the work. Pay the original contractor only for the work completed.

Good luck.

adjusterjack

Your problem is that you paid this guy in advance. Something you should never do with contractors. Pay them as they work. That way the work gets done a lot faster. Once they've got your money you are no longer a priority. If he wants money for materials, you have him give you a list and you go buy them, have them delivered, and pay him for his labor.

The job you described shouldn't have taken more than a few days to hang the drywall, tape and texture it. How do I know? Because I've done it. Among other projects, I did my friend's patio room over a weekend.

quincy

Your problem is that you paid this guy in advance. Something you should never do with contractors. Pay them as they work. That way the work gets done a lot faster. Once they've got your money you are no longer a priority. If he wants money for materials, you have him give you a list and you go buy them, have them delivered, and pay him for his labor.

The job you described shouldn't have taken more than a few days to hang the drywall, tape and texture it. How do I know? Because I've done it. Among other projects, I did my friend's patio room over a weekend.
The contractor was not paid in full.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">