• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Building an addition and the drywall contractor said this:

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rsenner96

I don't see that in the OP's posts.
I gave him half down and I feel he is about half way. Yesterday I told him I needed it complete in two weeks which makes it April 29th. He was too busy yesterday to talk so we set up a meeting set up today to discuss how we were going to move forward. I walked out to the jobsite today and his trailer is gone. I take it he is probably going to blow off this meeting but the problem is he left tools inside the house. I'm going to send a text to ask what his intentions are. But as far as I am concerned if he doesn't show up tomorrow I take it he walked off the job. Comments are appreciated.

quincy

I gave him half down and I feel he is about half way. Yesterday I told him I needed it complete in two weeks which makes it April 29th. He was too busy yesterday to talk so we set up a meeting set up today to discuss how we were going to move forward. I walked out to the jobsite today and his trailer is gone. I take it he is probably going to blow off this meeting but the problem is he left tools inside the house. I'm going to send a text to ask what his intentions are. But as far as I am concerned if he doesn't show up tomorrow I take it he walked off the job. Comments are appreciated.
If he has clearly walked off the job, notify him that you intend to hire someone else to complete the job. Secure his tools and give him a time and place to retrieve them.

It is good that you believe he has been paid for only the work he has done. That eliminates the problem of trying to collect for overpayment.

rsenner96

Your problem is that you paid this guy in advance. Something you should never do with contractors. Pay them as they work. That way the work gets done a lot faster. Once they've got your money you are no longer a priority. If he wants money for materials, you have him give you a list and you go buy them, have them delivered, and pay him for his labor.

The job you described shouldn't have taken more than a few days to hang the drywall, tape and texture it. How do I know? Because I've done it. Among other projects, I did my friend's patio room over a weekend.
So I'll put this out to you. The contract was signed 2/13/19. What do you feel is a "reasonable time frame" A lot is taped and floated. Is two weeks , taking it to 5/1/19, reasonable? Two weeks would make it 2.5 months. It was hung in 5 days, it shouldn't take 70 days to tape and float. Can I tell him get it done by that date or leave?

rsenner96

If he has clearly walked off the job, notify him that you intend to hire someone else to complete the job. Secure his tools and give him a time and place to retrieve them.

It is good that you believe he has been paid for only the work he has done. That eliminates the problem of trying to collect for overpayment.
He showed back up. If I give him two weeks to finish, is that reasonable?

adjusterjack

More than reasonable. I'd have kicked him to the curb a long time ago. Shouldn't have taken more than a week to finish the job and I'm being generous about that.

Next guy you hire, don't pay anything up front. Agree on a price, divide by the number of days to complete the job, pay him at the end of each day that he works. Hold back the last payment until completion.

Anybody who doesn't want those terms, send him away.

quincy

I think it reasonable. Whether your contractor will, though, is a question mark.

I am going to disagree a bit with adjusterjack on hiring a contractor. I don't think you will find any contractor willing to work with no initial deposit made. Although you have to risk a contractor not doing the job properly or in a timely fashion, the contractor too faces a risk that the homeowner will not pay - for material purchased and/or work completed.

The key is often in a carefully drafted contract, so that if either party breaches the contract, there is good evidence for court of the terms legally binding each party.

I hope your contractor does not disappoint.

Good luck.

(Sorry about the bolding)

rsenner96

I think it reasonable. Whether your contractor will, though, is a question mark.

I am going to disagree a bit with adjusterjack on hiring a contractor. I don't think you will find any contractor willing to work with no initial deposit made. Although you have to risk a contractor not doing the job properly or in a timely fashion, the contractor too faces a risk that the homeowner will not pay - for material purchased and/or work completed.

The key is often in a carefully drafted contract, so that if either party breaches the contract, there is good evidence for court of the terms legally binding each party.

I hope your contractor does not disappoint.

Good luck.

(Sorry about the bolding)
But there comes a point that too long is too long. I'm going to agree with Adjusterjack and tell him two weeks or he can leave.

quincy

But there comes a point that too long is too long. I'm going to agree with Adjusterjack and tell him two weeks or he can leave.
Oh. I agree. I think giving him two weeks to finish is reasonable. I think your contractor has had more than enough time to complete the work he was hired to do.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">