• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Building codes

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

tocold

I rented a home in normangee, Tx, Leon county, and come to find out there is no insulation in any of the walls. The house sits on wooden and cement blocks that are about 6 inches to a foot off the ground and there is no foundation. When it rains the water stands under the house, this has caused my things to mold that are on the floor. I find standing water on the tile floors where there are no water sorces,except the water standing under the house. The baseboards, walls and anything that is next to them is mildewed. I keep up with the mildew clean up all over the house.
I spoke to the landlord about it and, nothing has been done. We also have a gas space heater for the main sorce of heat in this house. On top of that it wasn't working properly, I ended up buying one myself, plus two more elect. space heaters to heat the house, and that still isn't enough when it get realy cold
Are there laws and codes that the landloard must follow for these problems? I have tried to find them, but I have had no luck.
Please help, Not just for us but for the future tenets.

HomeGuru

You have a variety of issues;
1) mold: State Health Department
2) foundation, insulation etc.: local Building Department
3) defects: L/T laws

You have every right to just move out but you knew that the home was bad when you rented it.

Beware of toxic mold.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">