• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bullied, got depression long time back

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lindabrown

I was bullied around 10 years back by my room mates, I haven't signed any lease but paying 1/2 of rent on verbal agreement
due to some disagreement he asked me to leave around night time but later let me stay, next day didn't open the door.
I didn't make copy of keys, because I was sharing room temporary for 1-2 months and we were working for same company so generally coming home together.
that incident slowly slowly hit me hard on my mind, keep on looping, I feel type of depression.
Now, I am thinking , can I take any legal action now?

Thanks

Place : New Jersey.

lindabrown

Thanks for your reply, I am in USA/NJ only, what is time for SOL?
also if I had taken action on time, what I could do, Because I have no proof.
Can you please elaborate, if something happens similar what he/she should do?
since I am too late now, so just asking for knowledge point of view.

lindabrown

to be honest I don't know , I was just curious after reading a similar case so posted to increase my knowledge/awareness.
I didn't get any physical injury, but asking me to leave at midnight, and next day didn't open door for me and I have to stay outside for many hours.
I felt very insulted that made me mentally unstable and got depression, level of depression is that even after 10 years I am not able to forget that incident.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I will let someone more knowledgeable about landlord/tenant law answer whether there would have been any legal remedy for your being kicked out in the way you describe.

However, I can tell you that this incident did not "give you depression". Depression is not brought on by a single incident. (PTSD can be, but depression and PTSD are NOT the same thing.) Depression is an illness and while this incident might have triggered it, for you still to be suffering from it ten years after the fact, I can pretty much guarantee you that the illness was already there and just not recognized.

Depression is treatable. It's a miserable thing to go through but there is help available. PLEASE for your own sake get some counseling. You don't have to go on feeling this way. It can get better, I promise.

lindabrown

Thanks for your reply, my concern is whether it's Depression or PTSD...I got mental suffering, so legally if somebody does this with someone, can
we legally punish them if yes what action can be taken.
Since my case is too old so my main reason for posting is more for my awareness/knowledge.
I am doing meditation and Yoga for betterment.

FlyingRon

No. The law does not work that way.
You do not have the right to PUNISH anybody. No matter what you do. In a criminal case, it is society that is harmed by criminal activity and the state brings the charges. It's not a victim v. defendant. In a civil matter, you're entitled to be compensated for the damages that were caused you, not to punish (except in very limited circumstances) the perpetrator..

As pointed out, even if you had a valid cause for action, that ship sailed.

I suggest you get psychiatric help for your issues and in time hope you will be able to deal with this. It's not anything the courts can "fix."

lindabrown

Thanks FlyingRon for replying, when I said "Punish" it doesn't mean I wanna do something by myself, I mean to say person who doing wrong should get some type of call from court/law(not me), it could be some fine or social service or something else.
Also, I am asking for knowledge point of view, like if something similar happen with someone now, then what victim should do.

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights
Thanks FlyingRon for replying, when I said "Punish" it doesn't mean I wanna do something by myself, I mean to say person who doing wrong should get some type of call from court/law(not me), it could be some fine or social service or something else.
Also, I am asking for knowledge point of view, like if something similar happen with someone now, then what victim should do.
If someone is illegally evicted, they can take the LL to small claims court. And that's the only remedy available.

And although yoga and meditation are both good, they are no substitute for actual therapy. Because if you are THIS bothered by a roommate squabble 10 years later, then you need more than yoga.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">