• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Burglary/false arrest??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Monmorsar

California
Last month, I was arrested for burglary. I am a 45 y/o woman, with no criminal history. I rented a home I found on craigslist. On my move in day, I arrived to find locks had been removed, and 2 windows smashed. I placed a call to the landlord (no answer), then 911. Dispatch said it was not an emergency. Shortly after, police (and a man, who felt free to call me every name in the book) arrived. I was immediately placed in handcuffs, and put into the officer's car. I had a lease, receipts, & keys, all was ignored and I was taken into custody. The man calling me names was the homeowner. The man I met, and paid $3k to, was not. I posted bail, and had my first court date today. I was told the DA has not filed a complaint yet, and given a new court date. What does this all mean? And how long before I can put all of this behind me? This was the most horrifying and humiliating experience of my life. On top of the money I lost; it has cost me bail, impound fees for my truck, pet storage fees (my dog was taken to the pound), home accessories purchased and not returned, a lost job opportunity, plus...all the jokes, at my expense.

Last edited:

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights
California
Last month, I was arrested for burglary. I am a 45 y/o woman, with no criminal history. I rented a home I found on craigslist. On my move in day, I arrived to find locks had been removed, and 2 windows smashed. I placed a call to the landlord (no answer), then 911. Dispatch said it was not an emergency. Shortly after, police (and a man, who felt free to call me every name in the book) arrived. I was immediately placed in handcuffs, and put into the officer's car. I had a lease, receipts, & keys, all was ignored and I was taken into custody. The man calling me names was the homeowner. The man I met, and paid $3k to, was not. I posted bail, and had my first court date today. I was told the DA has not filed a complaint yet, and given a new court date. What does this all mean? And how long before I can put all of this behind me? This was the most horrifying and humiliating experience of my life. On top of the money I lost; it has cost me bail, impound fees for my truck, pet storage fees (my dog was taken to the pound), home accessories purchased and not returned, a lost job opportunity, plus...all the jokes, at my expense.
Unfortunately, you fell for a common scam. But please know that IF the DA files a complaint, and the second court date remains in place, that you'll need an attorney. If you can't afford one, you'll be appointed one. In the meantime, don't discuss this with anyone but your attorney. Including on social media, with friends, family etc.

xylene

You've been the victim of a criminal scam.

You need a lawyer.

The owner was right to be upset, for all he knew you were the perpetrator.

Honestly, all said and done you are looking at a year or more of working the system

Unless you can find scammer and successfully sue him, you are probably out the money.

quincy

If you still have the ad that was posted on Craigslist, hang onto it. If you don't have a copy, see if you can get one. This will help in your defense should any legal action proceed against you.

I recommend you have an attorney with you for your next court hearing.

Here is a link to the FTC on rental listing scams: https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0079-rental-listing-scams

You will be lucky if you can track down the one who took your money. I am afraid that money is lost to you.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">