• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Burglary - Not on Lease

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Emilu34

Hello,
I am from Ohio. Recently there was a burglary at my apartment while I was out of town with my boyfriend and his family. Several of my things were stolen, including a TV, Wii, and Xbox including games and controllers. My boyfriend and another mutual friend are my roommates at the apartment. However, I never signed a lease and have just been splitting rent with my roommates. Will my insurance company still cover the stolen items since I am not on the lease? Please help! :/

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Hello,
I am from Ohio. Recently there was a burglary at my apartment while I was out of town with my boyfriend and his family. Several of my things were stolen, including a TV, Wii, and Xbox including games and controllers. My boyfriend and another mutual friend are my roommates at the apartment. However, I never signed a lease and have just been splitting rent with my roommates. Will my insurance company still cover the stolen items since I am not on the lease? Please help! :/
Did you have renter's insurance?

adjusterjack

Will my insurance company still cover the stolen items since I am not on the lease?
If that means that you do have renters insurance then, yes, your policy will cover your stolen belongings even though you are not on the lease.

You'll need to file a police report.

And you'll need documentation of ownership/purchase showing that you, personally, owned the items.

In addition to receipts be prepared to present checking account statements showing you wrote checks to the stores or credit card statements showing that you used your credit cards.

That's the kind of documentation I asked for in roommate situations because anything in the apartment could have been owned by anybody in the apartment and I'm not obliged to pay for anybody else's property besides the Named Insured on the policy.

quincy

Hello,
Did you file a police report? Has anyone been arrested in connection with the burglary?

Are you a student? Is the apartment on a college campus? If so, do your parents have student-coverage on their homeowners policy?

Emilu34

If that means that you do have renters insurance then, yes, your policy will cover your stolen belongings even though you are not on the lease.

You'll need to file a police report.

And you'll need documentation of ownership/purchase showing that you, personally, owned the items.

In addition to receipts be prepared to present checking account statements showing you wrote checks to the stores or credit card statements showing that you used your credit cards.

That's the kind of documentation I asked for in roommate situations because anything in the apartment could have been owned by anybody in the apartment and I'm not obliged to pay for anybody else's property besides the Named Insured on the policy.
Yes, I have renters insurance. A follow up question then.. some of the things that were stolen I paid for when I was young. At the time I didn't have a bank card so I paid in cash and do not have the receipts for since they were purchased so long ago. In that case what do I do..?

quincy

Yes, I have renters insurance. A follow up question then.. some of the things that were stolen I paid for when I was young. At the time I didn't have a bank card so I paid in cash and do not have the receipts for since they were purchased so long ago. In that case what do I do..?
If you have photos of the items (being used, is fine - as inventory photos for insurance purposes is better), have those at the ready. Find the same (used) items being sold on sites like eBay and have copies of these ads to establish value.

You were smart to have renter's insurance. Many renters do not and regret not having it later.

I hope the police can locate the thief and recover your items, but this is admittedly unlikely to happen.

Good luck.

adjusterjack

List them on your claim inventory anyway.

If the majority of your belongings are documented the adjuster might be a little liberal on the rest.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">