• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Business co-owner said she would give me work, now claims they might...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Vaztec

Cab company said they would give me work when I asked them if they would hire me. After I got confirmation that the co owner would hire me, I went and got a letter saying I was good to go back to work. I resigned in August 2018bdue to a condition that caused pain due to the heat and cold differences, in other words ring inside the cab with the AC on then going outside in the heat caused me pain. I called them to give them a two week notice around mid July and they never answered, so they might be upset I resigned a couple days after I told them of my intent. Anyway, is it illegal for a company to say, in this case the co owner I. A text message wrote she would give me any work available. I then texted back if that was the case, I would get a dr note saying I was good to go back and to work. I also tried to to clarify why or if I needed this note because I never saw a dr saying I resigned cause of pain. Now I have spent $200 plus and wasted a month waiting to get hired and now she tells me the other owner has to say specifically that he will hire me. If she had told me that before I spent $200, I would have looked some place else for work and saved time and money. Is there a law that prohibits employers from making false claims like this? Also, should I contact the EEOC and file a complaint? Thanks for listening and for any help you can give me.

Last edited:

quincy

Thank you for editing your original post.

I am not quite understanding what you are referring to when you speak of a "false claim."

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
If I am understanding your post correctly, the employer did nothing illegal and you have nothing to file a claim with the EEOC over.

Vaztec

If I am understanding your post correctly, the employer did nothing illegal and you have nothing to file a claim with the EEOC over.
Well the lady co-owner texted me that once I got a letter saying I was good to go back to work from a DR, she would "give me me any work available". To me that is a false claim. Not to mention I spent money to get this and other things done to get the job. If she had just said they had no work available, I would have have looked else where. It seems like she stringed me along, and once I had spent money, she suddenly said her husband would call me when and if they had work available and if they decided to hire me. There is a law that states employers can't make false claims. Personally I have a legit case, as I know what they promised and then misled me to spend money when they know I'm unemployed, then change what they said...

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Well the lady co-owner texted me that once I got a letter saying I was good to go back to work from a DR, she would "give me me any work available". To me that is a false claim. Not to mention I spent money to get this and other things done to get the job. If she had just said they had no work available, I would have have looked else where. It seems like she stringed me along, and once I had spent money, she suddenly said her husband would call me when and if they had work available and if they decided to hire me. There is a law that states employers can't make false claims. Personally I have a legit case, as I know what they promised and then misled me to spend money when they know I'm unemployed, then change what they said...
They promised you nothing.

quincy

Did they have work available for you?

What is the name of your state?

Vaztec

yes, I asked the lady co owner if they would hire me, and she said as long as I got a letter saying I was good to go back to work (work release form), she would give me any work available. Her husband m, the co owner is the o e that's saying I he must sign an intent to hire form, when and of he decides to hire me. I'm upset because the lady owner said she would hire me and had me spend one month of expenses just to be a to get hired and now she says her husband is the that must make the decision . I asked her at least one other time to make sure, and that's when she told me this. I'm in the state of Nevada.

Zigner

yes, I asked the lady co owner if they would hire me, and she said as long as I got a letter saying I was good to go back to work (work release form), she would give me any work available. Her husband m, the co owner is the o e that's saying I he must sign an intent to hire form, when and of he decides to hire me. I'm upset because the lady owner said she would hire me and had me spend one month of expenses just to be a to get hired and now she says her husband is the that must make the decision . I asked her at least one other time to make sure, and that's when she told me this. I'm in the state of Nevada.
You cannot force her to hire you...and even if you DID (you can't), you can't force them to schedule you for any work. You have no case against the business. Move on...

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights

What law would that be? And if you know you have a "legit case" then why are you here asking questions?

Vaztec

Smmyes when I texted her to see of she would I'm d here me, she said there was lots of work available

NV
Yes she told me on the phone they had lots of work available and needed more workers. Even then I texted her again at least once more to make sure she wo bore me and that's when she texted "I give you any work available".
You cannot force her to hire you...and even if you DID (you can't), you can't force them to schedule you for any work. You have no case against the business. Move on...
What about the money spent on dr, f
What law would that be? And if you know you have a "legit case" then why are you here asking questions?
If you're not going to be of help then don't post anything. What I do is my business...judging doesn't help either.I don't answer to you.

Zigner

Smmyes when I texted her to see of she would I'm d here me, she said there was lots of work available
Doesn't matter - she doesn't have to hire you.

NV
Yes she told me on the phone they had lots of work available and needed more workers. Even then I texted her again at least once more to make sure she wo bore me and that's when she texted "I give you any work available".

What about the money spent on dr, f
I'm sure it was money well-spent to make sure you were healthy and able to work.

If you're not going to be of help then don't post anything. What I do is my business...judging doesn't help either.I don't answer to you.
Huh? YOU were the one who stated that it was a law. You were simply asked to tell us what law that was. Please post a link to the law that says it...

Vaztec

I'm sure it was money well-spent to make sure you were healthy and able to work.

Huh? YOU were the one who stated that it was a law. You were simply asked to tell us what law that was. Please post a link to the law that says it...
I don't answer to you, I got better things to do.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">