• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Business Equity Contract Structure - Clarification needed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LucyLu33

What is the difference between a contract that states the cofounder gets 12.5% equity total fully vested over 5 years (2.5%/year), and a contract that states that the cofounder starts at 0% equity and gets 2.5% equity per year for 5 years for a total of 12.5% equity? How do these contracts differ in terms of payout during the first 5 years?

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
1: US law only.
2: Contract review is beyond the scope of this forum. You are well advised to have your contract (in its entirety) reviewed by local legal counsel.

What is the difference between a contract that states the cofounder retains 12.5% equity total fully vested over 5 years (2.5%/year) and a contract that states that the cofounder starts at 0% equity and has the potential to earn 2.5% equity per year for 5 years for a total of 12.5% equity? How do these contracts differ in terms of payout during the first 5 years?

LucyLu33

Hi Zigner,
I'm not asking for a contract review, I'm asking for help to understand if there is a difference between two equity structures that are presented. Can you help with that? And yes, pertaining to U.S. Law.

LucyLu33

I'm doing homework on my brother-in-law who is trying to tell me these are the same, and I think not. Can you help a scientist (non-lawyer) out?

Zigner

You have posted a very small snippet of what is a much larger "thing". We can't advise in a vacuum, and posting the entire contract for review won't help because contract review is beyond the scope of this forum.

Advise your brother to speak to an attorney.

LucyLu33

Oh my gosh! Not the case! There is no contract. I am truly just trying to understand the difference, because I was debating with him on the issue, and I thought maybe someone could enlighten me! Guess this isn't a very "friendly" atmosphere! :)

LdiJ

What is the difference between a contract that states the cofounder retains 12.5% equity total fully vested over 5 years (2.5%/year) and a contract that states that the cofounder starts at 0% equity and has the potential to earn 2.5% equity per year for 5 years for a total of 12.5% equity? How do these contracts differ in terms of payout during the first 5 years?
If you read what I bolded you will see that they are not the same thing, although they have the potential to have the same result after 5 years.

Zigner

Oh my gosh! Not the case! There is no contract. I am truly just trying to understand the difference, because I was debating with him on the issue, and I thought maybe someone could enlighten me! Guess this isn't a very "friendly" atmosphere! :)
AGAIN, you are asking us a question in a vacuum.

Last edited:

LucyLu33

If you read what I bolded you will see that they are not the same thing, although they have the potential to have the same result after 5 years.
Ok, change "potential to earn" to "will earn"... then what are the differences.

LucyLu33

AGAIN, you are asking us a question in a vacuum.

Tony
I get what you are saying Tony. I understand that maybe I am not adding crucial details. I don't know enough to put it in the context you are looking for. Since it's a hypothetical situation, can you add a scenario to put it in context and then comment?

LdiJ

Ok, change "potential to earn" to "will earn"... then what are the differences.
What does "retain" mean?
What does "will earn" mean?

Retain means keep from the beginning.
Will earn means earn as you go.

As I said, the end result would be the same after 5 years. Other than that, you ARE asking questions in a vacuum and the devil is in the details.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">