• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Business license just for living in a live/work unit [San Francisco, CA]

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tropicalipa

I'm moving into a live/work unit in San Francisco. According to the leasing agent, the city requires a tenant from each unit to have a business license, and the agent says I can just apply for one. Are there any legal issues with applying for a business license even though I don't plan to start a business?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I'm moving into a live/work unit in San Francisco. According to the leasing agent, the city requires a tenant from each unit to have a business license, and the agent says I can just apply for one. Are there any legal issues with applying for a business license even though I don't plan to start a business?
It doesn't make sense that a person who is not operating and does not plan to operate a business would need to apply for a business license. I suggest that you contact the city directly about the matter.

EDIT: I've just looked a little deeper in to what a "live/work unit" is. It is a unit that is in an area zoned for industrial use, but for which artists are allowed to live. You must be an artist and the city may investigate your claim about this. Simply applying for a business license doesn't fulfill the requirement and you can be fined for violating the zoning laws if you are not, in fact, producing "art".

As I mentioned above, contact the city and ask for information about the specific requirements for the unit you plan to move in to.

LdiJ

There is an annual cost for the business license and then the state might be looking for business income for you for tax purposes. I would never apply for a business license if I didn't plan to have a business.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
There is an annual cost for the business license and then the state might be looking for business income for you for tax purposes. I would never apply for a business license if I didn't plan to have a business.
Please look at my edit. I think the leasing agent was being a "sales person" and not really giving the OP the full picture.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">