• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Business Logo Design Question.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mattpugs

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

Hi. I am currently having a logo designed for my photography business here in New York City. I wanted the logo to have represent me but have elements of NYC be apart of it, the designers I am working with all joined in on creating logos with iconic images such as the Empire State Building. Keep in mind, these logos are 100% custom. No clip art or something being used, all designed within Adobe Illustrator so they are vector based designs. My question is, can my logo have a likeness of the ESB in it or is there some law against that? I have been searching for the past few days without too much luck.

I would post a link to view the logo but apparently if I post a link my thread doesn't get published?

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

Hi. I am currently having a logo designed for my photography business here in New York City. I wanted the logo to have represent me but have elements of NYC be apart of it, the designers I am working with all joined in on creating logos with iconic images such as the Empire State Building. Keep in mind, these logos are 100% custom. No clip art or something being used, all designed within Adobe Illustrator so they are vector based designs. My question is, can my logo have a likeness of the ESB in it or is there some law against that? I have been searching for the past few days without too much luck.

I would post a link to view the logo but apparently if I post a link my thread doesn't get published?
New posters can generally not post links. Links are flagged by the moderators of the site.

The Empire State Building is trademarked. To license rights to use either the name or the image for a commercial purpose (under which your logo falls), you can visit the following site: http://www.esbnyc.com/business-esb/licensing

Or, you could have your designers create a logo that does not use any rights-protected image.

Good luck.

mattpugs

Thanks for the reply, I saw that website. But that seems to me to be more for and actual image of the building, no? This is a black and white, vector design...not a photo of it. It is essentially line art.

quincy

Thanks for the reply, I saw that website. But that seems to me to be more for and actual image of the building, no? This is a black and white, vector design...not a photo of it. It is essentially line art.
I would submit the logo design for ESB's review, or have a consultation with an IP attorney in your area who can review the design, to see whether is can be seen as infringing on ESB's rights or not.

Because you have been and will be investing what is probably a lot of time and energy and money into the development of a logo you hope to use for a long time as an identifier for your photography business, it would be smart to invest a little bit more up front, to make sure you will actually be able to use the logo.

Good luck.

mattpugs

I agree, I will see what I can find out. Really hope I can use it because it really fits me and my brand.

quincy

I agree, I will see what I can find out. Really hope I can use it because it really fits me and my brand.
It would be nice for you to discover that the design logo you like best is one you can use safely.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">