• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Business tax law

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

Doe

I need information on taxes for a small business in the marine service industry! I just took over the office and what a mess. I have spent several days organizing and imputing transactions in a Quick Books 2000 program. I would like to help my boss as much as possible. Records have not been kept. Where do I begin to organize things for tax purposes?

L

lawrat

I am a law school graduate. What I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.

You didn't mention your state.

Well, considering the mess: may I suggest you go to a local tax attorney/CPA and start from there. It may costs some in the beginning, but at least you don't have to worry about missed details.

Try attorneypages.com

D

Doe

Thank you for your reply - The business is located in Florida. Any additional information you can give me.

W

wowie

if you go to http://www.intuit.com they offer a CPA locating service of CPAs and bookkeepers that support QuickBooks.

I am a pro-advisor on QuickBooks as well as a bookkeeper. If you are trying to input info for ALL of 2000, stop. You are creating more work than you need. The year is almost over. Unless you need the info, I wouldn't waste your time. Start fresh with 2001 and keep the 2000 hard records in dry storage somewhere. A CPA can assisst you in compiling your end of the year tax return from the info that you have plus you should be able to get the records from his former CPA if there was one.

If you contact the Florida Sales tax dept. . usually in the govt section of the phone book. . . they can help you get set up on sales tax or use tax for your industry. Have you gotten a EIN from the IRS? If not then after you decide what type of tax filing business you are then you need to contact them and get than info. Florida has different laws than most states. So see a CPA for further advice.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">