• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Business tenants rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

state of florida
i own my own cruise business, am incorporated, and lease from a company in BIG trouble! my lease is good thru Dec. 2001. They own the building I rent from, but took out a second mtg.to purchase another building.While away, for some time, the Prez. came back to findthe whole company left him, bills piled high, summons,irs, us customs, electric& water, and bounced checks, bounced employees checks, etc. "my" concern: if he declares bankruptcy, what will happen to the office? if he skips town, and the bills do not get paid, what happens to the office? can they(meaning anyone,2nd mortgage banker, IRS,...) padlock it and prevent me from comming in? can i get out of my lease sooner or would i need a reason, (i.e. if the electric is turned off, would that not be a default of the landlord, and i could leave when i want?)Can i go pay the electric, if & when it goes off, and still be able to get in..I need access to my office!I feel like a sitting duck, watiting for something to happen, and I want to be able to make a move when i want to, not wait till the bomb hits, but don't want to "break my lease".
help???

sitting duck?

first, thank you for replying to me! Now I know the system works. the answer is "Proactive", and remain legal (i.e. not breaking a lease) I think I am going to go pay the electric bill today, as I cannot lose a day of work just for the electricty bill to be turned on & back on.... I owe that to my customers...if asked where i got the acct. #, I guess I will have to admit to seeing it on the desk in a pile of bills, and have a "vested interest" in keeping the power on.
Am I still "legal"? Will this "free" me from the lease when I choose to leave now? Haven't seen the owner of building and I feel I have no choice. I will deduct this from my rent, when I pay it (don't have anyone to give it to)
Guru???advice please?
Peach

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">