• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bussing Laws Oregon

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

clcmazz

What is the name of your state? Oregon

Hi all, I have a question that nobody can seem to give me an answer to. Probably because nobody wants to.

We moved to Oregon over the summer and when I signed my child up for middle school I assumed that they would be bussed because it is quite a distance away. Unfortunately I was told that I live within 1.5 miles from the school and therefore my child is a walker. We only have one car at the moment and so when my husband is at work my child has to walk/ride a bike.

When I actually calculate the walking/biking/driving route it is over 1.6 miles. So my question is, is this law "as the crow files? Do they just do a 3 mile bubble over the school and everyone that falls in there is a walker? Can I fight this since my child can't walk through buildings and private property to get to school?

PayrollHRGuy

The law doesn't seem to describe how the 1 or 1.5 mile distance is measured.

ORS 327.043 When district required to provide transportation; waiver.

(1)A school district is required to provide transportation for elementary students who reside more than one mile from school and for secondary school students who reside more than 1.5 miles from school. A district is also required to provide transportation for any student identified in a supplemental plan approved by the State Board of Education.

(2)Notwithstanding subsection (1) of this section, the State Board of Education may waive the requirement to provide transportation for secondary school students who reside more than 1.5 miles from school. A district must present to the board a plan providing or identifying suitable and sufficient alternate modes of transporting secondary school students.

clcmazz

That is cutting corners.

The thing is that the roads get so bad here and the sidewalks and bike lanes aren't shoveled and salted so you have to walk in the road, in ice, when we have winter weather. Plus leave the house before the sun comes up.

All this week I've been getting up and driving my husband the 20 miles to work and then back so they can have a ride. It's getting old...

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Where I am (not OR), bussing is provided for those w/in a 1-mile radius. Period. Houses next-door to one another in a neighborhood can fall within bussing/no bussing categories. Budget restrictions.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
All this week I've been getting up and driving my husband the 20 miles to work and then back so they can have a ride. It's getting old...
What is your method for calculating the distance? What is theirs?

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
That is cutting corners.

The thing is that the roads get so bad here and the sidewalks and bike lanes aren't shoveled and salted so you have to walk in the road, in ice, when we have winter weather. Plus leave the house before the sun comes up.

Perhaps you can organize a carpool with other parents in your area.

By the way, check your local code.
In some areas, property owners are required to clear the snow from the sidewalks in front of their property.
If your area is subject to such a code, report the violators.
If your area does not have such a code, band together with others and take action to make it the law.

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Where I am (not OR), bussing is provided for those w/in a 1-mile radius. Period. Houses next-door to one another in a neighborhood can fall within bussing/no bussing categories. Budget restrictions.
Oregon law allows for >1.5 miles for middle school students.

clcmazz

Perhaps you can organize a carpool with other parents in your area.

By the way, check your local code.
In some areas, property owners are required to clear the snow from the sidewalks in front of their property.
If your area is subject to such a code, report the violators.
If your area does not have such a code, band together with others and take action to make it the law.
I've tried. I've asked on nextdoor if anyone had children going to the school, I've tried local mom groups. When I first realized we were considered walkers I spoke with the schools guidance counselor and asked if she could see if the might be other kids in our neighborhood who are being driven. But no luck. 90% of the time is not really a big deal, the roads are dry and getting on a bike is no big deal. I mean I hate that my child has to cross a busy intersection and ride in the dark in the winter but it is what it is.

Also, the road to the school I'm not 100% sure, but a good majority of the sidewalks back up to subdivisions so I don't think the homeowners are responsible for that.

xylene

It is calculated as the crow flies distance.

The school district is not going to route-model each child's commute.

You could also walk with your children yourself which seems much easier instead of an an extra 40 miles of time and wear and tear on your car.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
I've tried. I've asked on nextdoor if anyone had children going to the school, I've tried local mom groups. When I first realized we were considered walkers I spoke with the schools guidance counselor and asked if she could see if the might be other kids in our neighborhood who are being driven. But no luck. 90% of the time is not really a big deal, the roads are dry and getting on a bike is no big deal. I mean I hate that my child has to cross a busy intersection and ride in the dark in the winter but it is what it is.

Also, the road to the school I'm not 100% sure, but a good majority of the sidewalks back up to subdivisions so I don't think the homeowners are responsible for that.
Again, look into your local laws on who is supposed to clear the sidewalks.

You are allegedly driving the kids because the sidewalks are not cleared. Who, legally, is responsible for clearing the sidewalks of snow and ice? The town/city? The property owners?

And yes, homeowners in subdivisions may very well be responsible for shoveling the sidewalks adjacent to their property. If these are HOAs, the HOA may be responsible (one of the things dues pay for).

xylene

I will add, I do sympathize, I think a walker radius of 1.5 miles is very miserly.

A 1 mile radius is much more reasonable.

But school bussing is expensive and schools are under heavy pressure to cut... every corner, if you will.

clcmazz

I will add, I do sympathize, I think a walker radius of 1.5 miles is very miserly.

A 1 mile radius is much more reasonable.

But school bussing is expensive and schools are under heavy pressure to cut... every corner, if you will.
Agreed. We came from the east coast where our property taxes were more than double what they are here and almost everyone was courtesy bussed in our 5 mile square radius township. I guess we've been spoiled. Ha!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">