• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Buyer threatens to sue

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NedHead

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? TX

I sold my 1994 F150 Pickup with 184286 miles (original owner) for average blue book value of $3500, cash deal, the buyer had a friend test drive the vehicle 2 days before he bought it, he also test drove the vehicle. The truck was in great shape and ran great for us while I owned it, I had no knowledge of any problems or issues, it had recently been inspected and had oil changed. I did not offer any warranty nor was there any mention of warranty on the bill of sale receipt that was provided to them.

2 days later the buyers are calling saying they took it to have the oil changed immediately after purchase and had to pay for some additional repairs beyond the oil change. They bought the truck for their 17 yr old grandson who then "drove it to school, and drove it straight home, when it over heated and now are being told by their mechanic that the engine block is cracked and would be ~ $2000 to repair". They threaten to sue if I don't refund "half of the purchase price".

I feel badly for them, but the truck was just fine when I had it, I have no idea who changed the oil, what additional work they may have been conned out of by the oil changer and much less what the 17 year old grandson did to the truck! How many 17 yr olds get a new truck and don't take it out for a spin beyond "straight to school and straight home"!

Should I refund to avoid being sued?

pojo2

Let them sue! This was a private sell of a vehicle with almost 200K miles on it.

Based entirely on what you have posted here and not what you may or may not have sid to them.

JETX

pojo2 said:
Let them sue! This was a private sell of a vehicle with almost 200K miles on it.

Based entirely on what you have posted here and not what you may or may not have sid to them.
I agree.

Tell them you are sorry for their situation, but that you were not aware of any such problem at the time of the sale and have no liability. Suggest they google 'caveat emptor'.

truck woes

I sold an 85 cressida (I worked at a toyota dealership) to a fellow who was trying to help out his son, who needed to get out from under payments on a newer vehicle. I had taken in the cressida from a 70 yo music teacher who had bought the car brand new and taken good care of it. The next day, the car came in on a tow truck with damage to the oil pan that had led to a complete loss of oil and a seized engine. We racked the car and watched as dad pointed to the damage to the oil pan and some imaginary rust spots on the damage that he said proved that his 20 yo son had not "hot-rodded" his new ride. Because we were a dealership, we gave them $100 off the $1500 repair bill to maintain good will. You don't owe anything to this guy

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">