• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Buying a home by myself and my girlfriend is moving in with me.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ruckess

Hello everyone,

I'm buying a single family house on my own and my girlfriend of 2 years is moving in with me once I get the keys. How can I protect myself in case her and I breakup in the future? I hear Florida has strict laws regarding this situation. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Hello everyone,

I'm buying a single family house on my own and my girlfriend of 2 years is moving in with me once I get the keys. How can I protect myself in case her and I breakup in the future? I hear Florida has strict laws regarding this situation. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
It's wise to think about this. The best way to protect yourself is to not have her move in. Second best would be to have a formalized landlord/tenant relationship (ie: a written lease).

LdiJ

I am going to give you different advice. We are very cynical here because here we see all the cohabiting relationships that went wrong on a disastrous level. We don't see the ones where when the parties broke up, the one who didn't own the house left in a sane and rational manner...and the one who did own the house also behaved in a sane and rational manner.

If your girlfriend is a decent, hardworking person who is not frivolous with money, then you probably don't need to protect yourself. Yes, you will have created a tenancy and you won't be able to kick her out without giving proper notice per your state laws, but if you are a sane and rational guy you won't expect her to get out at a moment's notice anyway.

I will also add one more piece of advice...whether you qualify for the mortgage or not, do NOT buy more house than you can easily pay for by yourself. Do not buy a house where you NEED someone else's income to make it work.

Ruckess

Thank you for taking the time and giving your feedback.
Last night I sat down with her and we talked. Turns out she wants to put 50% of the down payment towards the house which is approx $20k but keep the loan only in my name. Look we're both in our early 40's and we really care for each other and are not looking to play games if you know what I mean. Is there a way to put her on title and not on the loan?

LdiJ

Thank you for taking the time and giving your feedback.
Last night I sat down with her and we talked. Turns out she wants to put 50% of the down payment towards the house which is approx $20k but keep the loan only in my name. Look we're both in our early 40's and we really care for each other and are not looking to play games if you know what I mean. Is there a way to put her on title and not on the loan?
Yes, of course you can put her on the title but not on the loan. However, that seems polar opposite to the question you originally asked.

LdiJ

The smarter thing would be to buy a house that you can afford totally on your own. If you want her to live with you, fine, but buying a house together is not wise if you are not married.

justalayman

Is there a way to put her on title and not on the loan?
why would you want to? That would mean regardless what happens, you are the only person liable for the loan yetnyou would own only half of the property. You would both have legal rights of possession and use of the home until one or the other gave Up their interest in the property. If the relationship went sour, thst is about as bad of a situation as you can have.

You can purchase a house together without being married but you should treat it as a business deal. You should have a contract that specifies who pays what and how to split the deal with the property should you break up. It’s a lot simpler to just not do it but rather only one person buys the house and pays for the house and the partner becomes a tenant.

If you eventually marry you can change the ownership and such as you wish after that event.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">