• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Buying and Selling with your LLC?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Diva77

Hi. I have a question about what a friend has done over the years with her properties. She has several rental properties and it looks like she has continuously sold them to her own LLCs and then bought them again, essentially just changing the name from herself to her companies every few years. Is this legit? It seems weird/dishonest to me, as she is still the owner each time. How does this work with the banks?

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
Without seeing all the details of the transactions it is impossible to say if she has done anything illegal. It is not illegal to simply buy and sell a property from your own LLC. But there may be things going on along with that which are illegal.

quincy

Hi. I have a question about what a friend has done over the years with her properties. She has several rental properties and it looks like she has continuously sold them to her own LLCs and then bought them again, essentially just changing the name from herself to her companies every few years. Is this legit? It seems weird/dishonest to me, as she is still the owner each time. How does this work with the banks?
What is the name of your state?

LdiJ

Its a bit odd, but I can think of reasons why someone might do that...particularly if she is trying to protect the assets from creditors.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">