• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Buying Health Insurance in another state

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

slim1

What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state? Ohio
I need to purchase a Medicare Supplemental policy. I am under age 65 and have been on Medicare for several years. Ohio has no companies that will sell such a policy to me. The DOI has recommended that I go to a state that has insurance companies that offer such policies and purchase one there. I was told by one of their legal people that this is not only legal, but the company has to sell me the policy as long as they sell the same policy to another person who lives in that state. I have started to call different states' Departments of Insurance and 2 other DOI's have agreed with the Ohio DOI (none have disagreed), that I can go to another state and purchase such a policy there since they do have insurers that in some cases not only offer such policies, but are required by several states to do so. However, each insurance company I have approached about this tells me I have been mis-informed. They will not sell me such a policy unless I reside in that state. Who is correct? And, if someone knows the answer to this question, could you please supply what law you are citing from? That way I can tell the insurance company what law is being quoted. Thank You.

S

slim1

I'm not 50 yet, so I don't qualify for anything with AARP. However, I have looked at AARP's offerings and haven't seen anything for people under age 65. If I am wrong about that, please let me know. I know they aren't registered to sell any under age 65 policies in Ohio, but if you know of a policy in a state that will accept me for a policy sponsored by AARP, please let me know....Thanks

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">