• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

buying home, reluctant tenent

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

bbudd

What is the name of your state? Connecticut

I have a home under contract and am scheduled to close in just a few days. The sellers don't reside in this state and the home is currently occupied by a renter, who isn't on a lease. He's also very reluctant to move, and it doesn't appear that he'll be out of the house by the closing date. The sellers have sent him a notice to vacate, but it may get ugly; he's pretty cantankerous and my stay until forced to go. My questions are as follows:
1. How long, worst case, will I have to wait?
2. If this drags on for months, and I'm forced to re-apply for a mortgage at a higher interest rate, what's my exposure in relation to the contract I've already signed?
BTW, my wife and I really like this house.

HomeGuru

bbudd said:
What is the name of your state? Connecticut

I have a home under contract and am scheduled to close in just a few days. The sellers don't reside in this state and the home is currently occupied by a renter, who isn't on a lease. He's also very reluctant to move, and it doesn't appear that he'll be out of the house by the closing date. The sellers have sent him a notice to vacate, but it may get ugly; he's pretty cantankerous and my stay until forced to go. My questions are as follows:
1. How long, worst case, will I have to wait?

**A: 3 months.

2. If this drags on for months, and I'm forced to re-apply for a mortgage at a higher interest rate, what's my exposure in relation to the contract I've already signed?
BTW, my wife and I really like this house.

**A: if you like the house close but hold back in escrow from funds of Seller, enough to cover legal fees and court costs to complete the eviction.

B

bbudd

Thanks for the reply-it's about what I figured. If I do close and the property becomes mine can I pitch a tent in the front yard and play annoying rap music at high decibles until he goes away?

HomeGuru

bbudd said:
Thanks for the reply-it's about what I figured. If I do close and the property becomes mine can I pitch a tent in the front yard and play annoying rap music at high decibles until he goes away?

**A: no but you can hire Bruno and Bubba to make him an offer he can't refuse.

JETX

bbudd said:
No. The 'inherited' tenant has his rights also. You will need to follow your states requirements for 'notice to vacate' and possibly file a detainer (eviction) action against the tenant if he doesn't voluntarily leave.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">