• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

buying house with tenant

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rainyday43

What is the name of your state? Washington

I have looked all over the net and not found any answers. We are in the process of buying our first home, the problem is that there is a tenant. I am afraid that the tenant won't leave - we close on this soon- how do I make sure that she leaves? What are my rights? She has not been paying rent and the owner says she is willing to pay a deposit for an apartment to get her out before we close. The tenant has been renting month to month and is on section 8, paying $50 a month, and has her ill grandmother living with her. The tenant seemed very upset that the owner was selling the home and she was very pointedly picking out flaws for us to see when we did our walk-through. The house inspected very well, with minor problems that negligible, since we plan on remodeling the whole thing. The owner said that she gave her notice vacate the premises by the closing date, and that she is leaning on the tenant to leave early so we can go in and clean since the grandmother is a smoker. The tenant keeps giving excuses, and the owner even offered to pay the deposit for the tenant to move into a duplex so that she would leave. The owner just had a baby and wants out of the rental business, so she is motivated. I am petrified that we will be stuck paying for a home we can't live in!

LindaP777

--PARIDISE-- said:
Once you close on the property, they become your tenant, and your mess to deal with.
EXACTLY!!! Do NOT close until tenant is compeletely moved out! Tell the current owner to get his butt in gear if he wants to close. (Looks like he may have to evict her, which oftens takes some time. And be sure to do a walk through AFTER the tenat is all moved out. Tenants forced to leave often leave a rememberance behind.)

Last edited:

HomeGuru

rainyday43 said:
What is the name of your state? Washington

I have looked all over the net and not found any answers. We are in the process of buying our first home, the problem is that there is a tenant. I am afraid that the tenant won't leave - we close on this soon- how do I make sure that she leaves? What are my rights? She has not been paying rent and the owner says she is willing to pay a deposit for an apartment to get her out before we close. The tenant has been renting month to month and is on section 8, paying $50 a month, and has her ill grandmother living with her. The tenant seemed very upset that the owner was selling the home and she was very pointedly picking out flaws for us to see when we did our walk-through. The house inspected very well, with minor problems that negligible, since we plan on remodeling the whole thing. The owner said that she gave her notice vacate the premises by the closing date, and that she is leaning on the tenant to leave early so we can go in and clean since the grandmother is a smoker. The tenant keeps giving excuses, and the owner even offered to pay the deposit for the tenant to move into a duplex so that she would leave. The owner just had a baby and wants out of the rental business, so she is motivated. I am petrified that we will be stuck paying for a home we can't live in!
**A: better hope you have closing contingent on a vacant property.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">