• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

CA cannot locate my account

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tja123

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Florida
I am trying to clean up my credit and pay off my credit card debt that was accumulated a few years ago while in college. I have been able to pay off everything except for 3 credit cards that are currently in collection.

I negotiated a payment arrangement with a collection agency, but they would not send me anything in writing so I did not send payment. I have recently been contacted by a different collection agency regarding the same account. I sent a DV letter to them and I received a letter back from them today. The letter states that they cannot locate my account and want me to provide additional info to them- account name, account balance, my name, address, SSN, phone number, etc. The collection agency does not appear on my credit report. The debt is still within the SOL.

Since they cannot locate my account info should I send them a C&D letter or would it provoke them to possibly sue since the debt is within the SOL? Any advice on what I should do now would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

RachelTN

Sounds fishy. They should know what they are calling you about. If they can't tell you the original creditor, dollar due, or other information, don't send them anything or do anything with them. If they did send you a letter, send a copy of the letter back with a request to provide proof of the debt. See where that takes them.

TigerD

tja123 said:
I sent a DV letter to them and I received a letter back from them today. The letter states that they cannot locate my account and want me to provide additional info to them- account name, account balance, my name, address, SSN, phone number, etc. The collection agency does not appear on my credit report. The debt is still within the SOL.

Since they cannot locate my account info should I send them a C&D letter or would it provoke them to possibly sue since the debt is within the SOL? Any advice on what I should do now would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
There is nothing fishy about this. When you sent your validation request, did you provide them enough information to locate your account? The account number, your name and address should be enough. With a name and addy they can get your SSN -- but to prevent errors, you might want to provide it.

It sounds like the OC pulled the account from the first CA and placed it with a second. No CA is going to send you a written payment plan. You had that from the OC. The balance is due in full. If they are extending you the opportunity to make payments -- take it and be thankful.

CDing a collection agency will limit their contacts with you. But you will also immediately advance your account to the most severe action they are going to take. They could sue you. And from your posting, they would win.

DC

Ladynred

Asking that the payment agreement be put into writing is certainly prudent. Collection agencies have very convenient memories and they will most definitely 'forget' any agreement that is NOT in writing. They'll renege on any 'verbal' agreement so fast it'll make your head spin. If its not in writing.. it never happened !!
I wouldn't provide them with any additional information. If they were dunning YOU then they should know what they do or do not have. If they're THAT disorganized.. well that's just tough nuts.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">