• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

CA - Child custody order interpretation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

California - I am in need of some child custody order interpretation.
I have two children under 12 years old. During the school year I have majority of their physical custody. During the summer it is 50/50. In our court order we have two specific periods school and summer where we follow a certain schedule.

My question is if one of the children starts school earlier than the other do we follow the school schedule OR does each child follow their own?

For example Child A start school first, Child A would be on school schedule, Child B would be on summer schedule since their school starts about 3 weeks later.

Thanks in advance.

CTU

Meddlesome Priestess
It'd probably be a good idea to tell us the exact wording of your order, minus identifying info.

it says:
one the first, third and fourth weekends of each month ((weekends shall be defined by saturday) from friday afterschool (or 330pm) until sunday at 6PM)
every wednesday from after school (or 330pm) until 6pm
other times by mutual parental agreement:

summer schedule: each parent shall provide the children's physical care and follow 2-2-5-5 parent plan:
Mother cares for children on monday and tuesdays
father care for children on wednesday and thursday
both parents care for the children on alternating weekends from friday through sunday
custodial exchanges shall occur at designated place at 530pm on monday, wednesday and alterate friday.

HRZ

At least as posted the language treats children as a unit not as individual child ...it may be more practical for parents to agree to draw straws this time than to ask court to opine ...but either straw, each child needs to be in school on time.

LdiJ

California - I am in need of some child custody order interpretation.
I have two children under 12 years old. During the school year I have majority of their physical custody. During the summer it is 50/50. In our court order we have two specific periods school and summer where we follow a certain schedule.

My question is if one of the children starts school earlier than the other do we follow the school schedule OR does each child follow their own?

For example Child A start school first, Child A would be on school schedule, Child B would be on summer schedule since their school starts about 3 weeks later.

Thanks in advance.
Are your children in different school districts? If so, why?

LdiJ

It does not define summer.

Children are in different schools due to elementary and middle school.
I am sorry but that is not an answer. School districts do not have different schedules for elementary and middle school so that is not a valid answer. The reason why your children are on different schedules could definitely matter. So answer the question honestly.

LdiJ

The child at elementary is at a public school
The child in middle School is at a charter school
Ok, so they are different districts. Are they going to be three weeks apart at the end of summer as well? The two children should be on the same schedule, but you also have to be fair about things. If you use the school schedule that will cut 6 weeks off of summer next year, and that obviously is not fair. Therefore, you are going to have to agree on a start and end date for the summer schedule...and it will either follow the elementary school schedule or the middle school schedule, one or the other.

Of course there is also the alternative of having the middle schooler in a regular public school on the same schedule as the younger sibling, rather than the charter school.

CJane

Follow the order for each individual child's school calendar.

One of my StepKids will be on a different schedule than all of the other kids this year, even though she is technically a senior in high school, in the same district as the other children. She is going to be in the Running Start program, which allows her to attend college full time at the local community college, in lieu of attending high school, and at the school district's expense.

She won't start school until almost a month after the other kids, her spring break will be the week prior to the other children's spring break, etc. Obviously, she cannot go to her mother's house during the other 3 children's spring break, and miss a week of classes, nor will we be penalized for having an exceptionally long summer break with her this year.

LdiJ

Follow the order for each individual child's school calendar.

One of my StepKids will be on a different schedule than all of the other kids this year, even though she is technically a senior in high school, in the same district as the other children. She is going to be in the Running Start program, which allows her to attend college full time at the local community college, in lieu of attending high school, and at the school district's expense.

She won't start school until almost a month after the other kids, her spring break will be the week prior to the other children's spring break, etc. Obviously, she cannot go to her mother's house during the other 3 children's spring break, and miss a week of classes, nor will we be penalized for having an exceptionally long summer break with her this year.
You are talking about a college aged child rather than one under 12. Its not quite the same.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">