• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

CA-divorce-I want lawyer-he doesn't-

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mightymite

At this time it seems that we agree to the terms for our divorce. He would rather do it without a lawyer, but I am not sure I am comfortable with that. My fear is that his girlfriend or others may try to change his mind. At this time he is still feeling guilty and says he will give my whatever I want\need. As we have everything mortgaged to the hilt & mostly tied to the house (which I want to keep) I would be assuming almost all our debt. Since he makes at least 2x what I do, I need in support the equivalent of the 1st mortgage in alimony & child support. Is it realistic for us to do this w\out a lawyer? Or what if I get one and he doesn't? Outside of the 1st & 2nd mortgage, the only other item is a brand new RV which we probably couldn't sell for what we owe. If he lets it go back (repo) will it damage my credit? What about separate property agreements? Also, although he is the main earner, I have always handled all the finances, what can I do to make sure he keeps paying prior to the divorce being final?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">