• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

CA - Do I have a case?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Relicario

California

I'm going to try to keep identifying information out but if you need it please let me know.

I've been working for this large company for about a year. I know the ins and outs of how all the machinery works but in my position, im just allowed to troubleshoot, not fix. The technicians that fix the issues have less knowledge than people in my position, since the requirement for my position is to have a degree, but they are mechanically inclined. Yet, their salary is considerably higher than mine. So now, several positions opened up for technicians, and since i am mechanically inclined and know the systems completely, I decided to take the technician test and get a spot.

My manager was against it but finally set me up to take the test, expecting me to fail and stop bugging him. Well, I passed with flying colors, but now he gave me the excuse that it would take a while for the 2nd test to get setup, so I agreed to wait.

2 weeks later, he hires a guy off the street, that failed the 1st exam, and never took the 2nd exam. Last week, another guy passed the 1st exam after his second attempt and he immediately got a call from my manager to take the 2nd exam the upcoming week.

So next week the first guy starts as a technician and the second guy is taking the 2nd exam, while he has me here waiting.

I have not spoken to HR but i dont know if i should.

At this point i dont know if i even want to move up because he could fire me during my probation period.

There are 3 guys, including me, in my current position and i have had the best performance. So i am in good standing and i dont see any reason to be getting denied of such an opportunity.

I need urgent advice. I feeling like just walking away this very minute, but i have a family to support.

adjusterjack

You're being screwed because your boss is a moron. But it's not illegal discrimination. Seek employment elsewhere, then quit when you have your next job lined up.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
On the basis of what you have posted, no. The only "case" you have is to find other employment and quit when you've found it.

Sounds like a very poorly managed place but that is not illegal.

HRZ

ITs not illegal for a manager to sabotage the efforts of a great inexpensive employee so as to keep the inexpensive worker , especially if a degree is required...and you might be hard to replace.......may seem stupid ..but that's not the question.

LdiJ

California

I'm going to try to keep identifying information out but if you need it please let me know.

I've been working for this large company for about a year. I know the ins and outs of how all the machinery works but in my position, im just allowed to troubleshoot, not fix. The technicians that fix the issues have less knowledge than people in my position, since the requirement for my position is to have a degree, but they are mechanically inclined. Yet, their salary is considerably higher than mine. So now, several positions opened up for technicians, and since i am mechanically inclined and know the systems completely, I decided to take the technician test and get a spot.

My manager was against it but finally set me up to take the test, expecting me to fail and stop bugging him. Well, I passed with flying colors, but now he gave me the excuse that it would take a while for the 2nd test to get setup, so I agreed to wait.

2 weeks later, he hires a guy off the street, that failed the 1st exam, and never took the 2nd exam. Last week, another guy passed the 1st exam after his second attempt and he immediately got a call from my manager to take the 2nd exam the upcoming week.

So next week the first guy starts as a technician and the second guy is taking the 2nd exam, while he has me here waiting.

I have not spoken to HR but i dont know if i should.

At this point i dont know if i even want to move up because he could fire me during my probation period.

There are 3 guys, including me, in my current position and i have had the best performance. So i am in good standing and i dont see any reason to be getting denied of such an opportunity.

I need urgent advice. I feeling like just walking away this very minute, but i have a family to support.
The boss needs you where you are and that is why he doesn't want to move you to another position.

I had that kind of problem with my first job after college. I was there for 6 years and the entire time I was there I did my own job plus a lot of the job of each one of the bosses I had. One boss even cried when one of the managers of another department tried to promote me out of the department I was in...and that nixed that promotion. I was flabbergasted. I had no choice but to find a job elsewhere.

There is honestly such a thing as being so good at what you do that a company cannot fathom moving you elsewhere...so they end up losing you. You are not the first person it has happened to and you won't be the last.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">