• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

CA filed a suit fo medical bill! HELP

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



What is the name of your state? georgia
Please advise. Last night a deputy brought my husband papers from the Magistrate Court needless to say we were SHOCKED!!! Anyway, in the papers it says that this was filed by a credit bureau for the hospital. We have always paid our bills in a timely manner and are vey upset and embarresed. We have payed a lot of money to this hospital out of our pockets and this is for a small amount of $182 - $239.50 with court cost. We have not received ant kind of notice before this or a phone call. Unless they have called during working hours (we leave early and get home late most days). Wouldn't we have received something that we would of had to sign for before this happened? We have neither received any phone calls at work and i know the hospital must have our numbers. This was served in my husbands name and he has never used this hospital just myself or the children so I know he has never even signed anything there. We don't even know what this bill is for it says it is from 2-12-01. On all the papers accept for one page that is stapled to the papers (it has correct address) it has our correct address but a different town and zip code (same county different town and zip). The deputy brought it he knows us and were we live. We are very upset and emberrased we are in avery small community and know EVERYONE. We just want this cleared up we don't want to go to court and we don't want my husbands credit ruined over this. Can we pay this Monday morning and clear it up or will we have to go to court. We have never had anything like this happen to us and don't really know what to do.


Senior Member
Kinda of confused here. First of all, if you or your children filed an insurance claim using your husbands insurance, he is the responsible party.

You give a specific date. Was anyone in your family treated on or around that date? If not, this may well be a billing error that got way out of hand. I think Monday morning, I'd go to the hospital billing office and ask to see your file. You've probably 20 or 30 days to respond to the lawsuit {the summons should say by what date}. First, see if an error hasn't been made. If it really is your bill, then you can contact the other lawyer and settle prior to court.


Thanks for your response. My son had to have stitches but my cousin meet me there and she is our Doctor so I would only have a bill for the use of the after hours clinic but I know that has been paid and that was in 2000. My kids are on my husbands insurance at work but I am not. I was in there in 1999 but the papers said dos 2-2001. And yes the papers siad we have 30 days to respond. Thsanks for your help.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential