• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

[CA-LA] What to do if my nightmare roommates, who had the cops called on them twice now, don't leave by the date agreed on?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Realskydiver

California - The guy who was suppose to rent out the place backed out last minute and suggested his Mother to move in instate who needed a place to stay, at least temporary. She asked me if it's ok to occasionally bring someone over and I said sure. On the move-in day she brings a guy along who I've not met prior and after he stayed for several days she tells me she needs him around all the time because he's her BF and she needs daily assistance since she's dealing with signs of MS (she's 52, hes 37). It was weird that she didn't bring him along when we first met but ok, I agreed for the time being even-though it's a one person room.
After a few calm weeks the fighting started between them where she yelled, cursed, cried etc. basically having a complete meltdown. She told me she's struggling with mental issues and didn't take her meds but after that day it happened so frequent on a daily basis that I had to call the cops to intervene. A few days later she wen't full paranoid, accused the neighbor downstairs of cheating on her BF and threatened to kill her. Again the cops where called.
She told me she will move out on Feb the 15th as she doesn't feel welcome (literally the whole building hates her now because of her daily meltdowns), but then she suddenly said that shes only moving out if she finds a place in time as she doesn't want to land on the street.
Is it possible to file an eviction notice in time to make sure shes out by the 15th? Nobody here including the landlord want's to deal with this mental nightmare terror any second longer. They make tons of noise all night too. Moving things around, singing, dropping shit and we have hardwood floors. Everything gets amplified like crazy. We told them a dozen times to stop this madness yet they keep going on. It's like living with delinquent children that throw temper tantrums at every chance. A major concern, if the eviction notice takes longer to process since a judge has to sing off on it, is if I find a new roommate for the 16th but they refuse to leave. Do I just throw their stuff out so the new roommate can move their things in?
When it comes to rent they're also behind and only paid me part of it. Do I subtract that from the deposit? I sold them my old TV for $100 as well of which they only paid off $30. If they can't pay do I keep it along with the $30? They've been using the TV literally all day since they moved in 3 months ago.
Thank You

quincy

I suggest you wait for the eviction. If the roommate owes you money and refuses to pay, you can sue her.

Realskydiver

I suggest you wait for the eviction. If the roommate owes you money and refuses to pay, you can sue her.
How to get them out without an eviction though if they don’t leave on their own terms? They absolutely have to leave by the date agreed. They created a hostile environment and the whole ordeal has been incredibly stress and anxiety enducing to me and they neighbors with no efford on their part to change. All reasons enough to derminate their stay or do we have to sue them for emotional distress too?

quincy

How to get them out without an eviction though if they don’t leave on their own terms? They absolutely have to leave by the date agreed. They created a hostile environment and the whole ordeal has been incredibly stress and anxiety enducing to me and they neighbors with no efford on their part to change. All reasons enough to derminate their stay or do we have to sue them for emotional distress too?
An eviction should work to get them out of the unit. See how that goes first.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">