• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

CA parent wants to move to AZ

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



What is the name of your state? CA

I am a single parent (never married), childs non-custodial parent was granted visitation of every weekend and not requried to pay child support because they receive a welfare or transitions check from the state each month, although occasionally this parent mentions their job I have never pushed the child support issue. Our child is 5 1/2 and the visits are still sporadic they occur maybe once a month for two months then every other month for three, I have all of this documented.

After doing some research, I have decided that I would be more financially stable in Arizona, I want to move not out of bitterness but self preservation, and the fact that I will be able to provide better for my child. I know that the non custodial parent will have a fit out of spite. How much notice should be given, or do I have to ask permission from the other parent?

So...after all that I want to know how likely is it that a judge would deny relocation if I am the sole financial provider and the other parent still doesn't consistently come for their visits.

Sorry this is my first post and I did not want to leave anything important out, :confused:



give him a notice of your intent to leave the state at least 60 days prior to leaving. If he doesn't contest the issue, then go. But be sure it's all certified, registered mail and all that too. You can always move if you get "transferred" from your job, or have meaningful employment awaiting you here (yes, im in AZ).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential