• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

CA Parity laws and out of state insur.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dcsnuggler

I was laid off in MA last June and have since relocated to CA. I'm in the process of getting outpatient mental health benefits and have been told several different things from my medical plan (continued my health thru COBRA- united health).

As my yearly allotment of OP benefits is ending I inquired with the insurance company whether or not IP benefits could be applied to OP benefits. I have been givin conflicting answers each time I call my insurance company to inquire. One answer was; this may be do'able depending on whether or not the insurance company deems it medically necessary based on a converstation they were to have with my therapist. However when my therapist called to speak with a care coordinator (the person who would grant permission or not) they were told this was not even an option, based on the health plan my employer bought.

Then it came to my attention about the CA parity laws signed a couple of summers ago for people living in CA. When I brought this up to the insurance people I was told this would not apply to me because my insurance is coded from the state of MA. However this is the same insurance used by the whole national sales force for the company I was laid off from. Doesn't the insurance have to abide by the laws of the state in which I am a legal resident. Any help would be appreciated. Including how to deal with my shady slithery insurance company!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">