• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

CA resident got DUI and concurrent at fault accident in Arizona

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BigLoser

My 23 year old daughter with no record really goofed up this time. She attends college in AZ and is set to graduate and return home in late summer.
Her license was confiscated at the time of the arrest, she is currently enrolled and attending DUI classes in AZ, her arraignment date is May 29.
My questions:
How will California deal with her out of state DUI?
How will the timelines apply in CA?
Will her mandatory four month suspension have already been satisfied in AZ?
Will she be required to have an IID (Ignition Interlock Device) installed in her car?

Thanks in advance

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
My 23 year old daughter with no record really goofed up this time. She attends college in AZ and is set to graduate and return home in late summer.
Her license was confiscated at the time of the arrest, she is currently enrolled and attending DUI classes in AZ, her arraignment date is May 29.
My questions:
How will California deal with her out of state DUI?
How will the timelines apply in CA?
Will her mandatory four month suspension have already been satisfied in AZ?
Will she be required to have an IID (Ignition Interlock Device) installed in her car?

Thanks in advance
She needs to get a DUI attorney in AZ. If she is able to avoid a conviction in AZ for the DUI then nothing will happen to her in CA. But if she is convicted (which includes a guilty plea in a plea agreement) then AZ will notify CA of the conviction through the process established in the national driver's license compact. CA will then take the same administrative actions against her license that she would have gotten had she been convicted of DUI in CA. Note that the DMV administrative sanctions are different from what criminal penalties the court imposes. The only court action here will be in AZ. The DMV action may include suspending her license in CA for some period of time. In order to get it back, she might also be required to get an interlock device installed. She may need to have DUI classes to get her license back. CA might give her credit for classes she is required to take in AZ though. And she'd still deal with the AZ requirements too.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">