• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

CA-restraining order amendment and request for attorney fees?!?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

canntri

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

CA Lawyers, please help, I got a restraining order, the papers came back with a different outcome than the original hearing judgement. The judge ruled a 6 month restraining order at the hearing. When I got the papers back, it said 3 years. I submitted the papers to law enforcement and the defendants party, as I was obligated to do. Now, his party is trying to amend the judgement AND request that I pay $1765 in attorney fees for the amendment. Court is tomorrow and I just got all the papers yesterday. I've been advised that I may want to file an ethics complaint against his attorney (he also lied to the judge in the previous hearing). Any help or advice?

Also, there was some evidence I submitted at the case, which the defendant never picked up from the post office and it was returned to me. His party tried to disallow it, but the judge ruled it was ok. I thought maybe the judge actually looked through it and changed his judgement based on the evidence, which was extremely incriminating. I thought he may have decided that the issue was, in fact, more serious than portrayed at the hearing. The mistakes on the final judgement were made by the court. I didn't alter anything, I didn't have to sign anything stating that the forgoing was true to my knowledge, and I served it on his party in the correct manner.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

canntri

In Pro Per

I am representing myself. I know an attorney in TX, but obviously laws in CA are different. He called the defendant's attorney for me who was surprised to hear that I had not been offered an agreement, not involving any fees. In fact, he yelled to his secretary, "why would you do that?". Her reply was that it was the client's request. I am supposed to meet with the lawyer before the hearing to discuss an agreement without the fees. However, if it is amended back to 6 months, it only lasts for another 4 month. I think that is unfair since I am being asked to deal with this person again, only 2 months in to the order. I also am very wary about signing this agreement, because I wonder why it is so important to this person that the order only last 6 months, if he is not planning on contacting me again. We do not have mutual hangouts, friends, workplaces (he was my former boss), homes, etc. I am a bit nervous that he is paying such high fees to get this accomplished.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">