• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

CA: Sent to collections w/o notification

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



What is the name of your state? California

I rented a car from Enterprise Rent-a-car, and I told them I didn't need their rental insurance before I was covered by my insurance. They said they called my insurance and they said I was not covered, but everytime I called they said I was. When I tried calling from the rental office, they dialed and said they couldn't get through. I told them I would sign for their insurance, but would go straight home and contact my insurance company again, and then call the rental office back to remove their coverage. I finally got through to my insurance company at home and verified that I was covered for any damage that may occur on the rental car, and called Enterprise back. I told them that I was covered under my insurance policy and did not need their coverage. One month later I returned the car, I paid my balance and left.

Six months later I applied for a credit card and was denied because I had an unpaid collection on my credit report. I looked into it and found that Enterprise charged me for their insurance, but billed it to my insurance company, which they did not pay. Enterprise said they left me phone messages, which I never received. But they never sent me anything in the mail. I quickly paid the collection agency to close that. Enterprise looked through their notes, and they said I called them and told them that my insurance company was going to pay for their insurance coverage, which I never did. Now I have a negative mark on my credit report until 2006. This happened a couple years ago, is there anyway I can still dispute this or have it taken off my credit report? If so, how do I go about doing this?

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential