• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

CA - Tenant Rights re: Installation of Electric Vehicle Charging Station

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I am considering switching to an electric vehicle and would like clarity on what California law says about tenant/landlord rights in regards to approving a tenant request for installation of an electric vehicle charging station. I've been living in a rent controlled single-family home with a single car garage since 2016. The lease is now month-to-month. Based on my reading of the law, it seems that tenants living in rent controlled properties with fewer than 5 parking spots are excluded from any rights under the law. Am I interpreting that correctly?

adjusterjack

The law exempts an owner from being obligated to approve the installation of a charging station. It doesn't prevent an owner from voluntarily agreeing to allow the installation.

Did you know that many electric vehicles come with Level 1 charging capability where you plug it in to a standard 110V wall outlet?

Thanks for the confirmation. I do know that many EV come with Level 1 plug-ins for standard outlets. The make/model I'm considering does, but the time it takes to charge at Level 1 wouldn't work for my daily mileage.

LdiJ

Thanks for the confirmation. I do know that many EV come with Level 1 plug-ins for standard outlets. The make/model I'm considering does, but the time it takes to charge at Level 1 wouldn't work for my daily mileage.
Then you might have to charge away from home. It only takes about 10 minutes to charge 200 miles at the faster charging stations.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">