• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

CA Unemployment Appeal Hearing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cjeanette

Hey all, I apologize if this has been asked/answered in a previous thread. I know there are 'official' answers via EDD website on what to expect during the appeal process...….looking for personal experience. I do understand every case is different, but wondering the timetable range with CA people that had their appeal hearing and how long it took to receive your decision. Searches online seem to be all over the board. Some report 24 hours, some 2-3 weeks. Curiosity mostly. My judge was pretty awesome, short and sweet, to the point, and came across as extremely fair. Quite infuriating that there seems to be no avenue for repercussions for lying under oath/perjury. My former co-worker's fear of retaliation at the workplace squashed any hope of a written statement (that did apply to the hearing itself) and I can't say that I blame him. Disrespect of the process and swearing in was pretty shameful, but from other postings, looks like it is what it is. Thanks for any feedback!

quincy

Wasn't sure if I should post on the original thread, which is why I started the new one. Sorry if that caused any confusion.
I think the only confusion was over the name of your state. :)

Someone should not expect their experience to be like anyone else's. The time involved depends on many different factors.

cjeanette

I think the only confusion was over the name of your state. :)

Someone should not expect their experience to be like anyone else's. The time involved depends on many different factors.
Thanks. No expectation, just curious on other experiences. Already looking into the next steps if the decision is not in my favor. Based on the questions the Judge asked, I'm not anticipating that to be the issue, but want to be prepared. If you were familiar with my previous thread (and I'll probably add on there as well), not that anyone cares, but I did find a WONDERFUL job as a public safety dispatcher again for EMT's and start on Monday!

cjeanette

Here, yet again. I appealed my Unemployment disqualification, had my hearing last week, received my determination letter on Monday. The judge did rule in my favor and reverse the disqualification for 8/25/2019-10/5/2019. Was FINALLY able to breathe knowing that I would be able to catch up on bills. Logged into my EDD account and instead of the wording 'Pending Appeal Date' next to each certification week, it now said "False Statement Penalty Week". Get through to a couple people at EDD (very patient with me), and it was explained to me that there had been an overpayment almost two years ago. The amount being withheld is almost $3,000. I find out the outstanding balance and it's $146.20. Needless to say I was absolutely beside myself! I set up a payment agreement right away and explained I had no idea there was a balance owed. I've moved more times than I can count in the last two years. I've updated my address in all the necessary places, but still have mail that goes to previous addresses. They told me that I could appeal this decision (yaaaaaay…..another appeal). They gave me the option to fax the appeal letter to expedite the process, but again, they are unable to give any ballpark time frame for any of it. They was the last gentleman worded it, it sounds like the letter will initially go to an adjuster, and though they don't always, they do have the ability to grant or forward to the hearing process. I've done a general online search for circumstances involving the false statement penalty, and information seems to be very limited or just very different issues with it. In my letter I stated that I was working now and not relying on EDD resources any longer, and that the oversight was not made out of malice or deceit. It is very frustrating that I did everything electronically with EDD, communicated quite a bit back and forth, and nothing was ever sent or documented online about it, just snail mail. Pretty much feel like I got kicked in the gut. I guess my question/inquiry is, similar circumstances and what was the outcome? Thanks guys

quincy

There is little worthwhile that you can learn from what others experienced because all cases have different facts. No two experiences will be the same.

Thank you for adding this latest post to an existing thread.

cjeanette

There is little worthwhile that you can learn from what others experienced because all cases have different facts. No two experiences will be the same.

Thank you for adding this latest post to an existing thread.
I'm learning lol. Thanks for saying that. One of those that, if no one else has posted about, if it happens to someone else, maybe can get some clarity on mine. Will update with information and personal experience for anyone else that has something similar happen to them. Like I said, was just one of those gut kicking feelings and trying to gather any and all information that I can.

quincy

I'm learning lol. Thanks for saying that. One of those that, if no one else has posted about, if it happens to someone else, maybe can get some clarity on mine. Will update with information and personal experience for anyone else that has something similar happen to them. Like I said, was just one of those gut kicking feelings and trying to gather any and all information that I can.
Updates are always nice to get.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">