• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

CA University Debt

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kech005

I attended UC Riverside for a quarter back in 2015. I had a late housing payment of $1,003 that my scholarship said would send a check to pay for. I didn’t hear back from my scholarship committee until a couple months after I left UCR and they informed me they would not send the check and that I would have to make the payment. I reached out to multiple branches of the school (housing, billing, student business services) to work out a payment plan and the best answer I received was to make payments of what I could but that I would continue to accrue late fees if no attempt was made and they would not dispute late fees until the amount was paid in full. I made a payment of $510 which was all the money I had at the time and the account continued to accrue late fees. I now have the money to make the payment but I wanted to know if I could dispute late fees because I made an attempt to pay some of the amount due and reached out to make a payment plan. I was also unemployed during this time and was not able to pay the amount in full. Will I be expected to get a lot of push back from the school if I do try to dispute late fees?

quincy

I attended UC Riverside for a quarter back in 2015. I had a late housing payment of $1,003 that my scholarship said would send a check to pay for. I didn’t hear back from my scholarship committee until a couple months after I left UCR and they informed me they would not send the check and that I would have to make the payment. I reached out to multiple branches of the school (housing, billing, student business services) to work out a payment plan and the best answer I received was to make payments of what I could but that I would continue to accrue late fees if no attempt was made and they would not dispute late fees until the amount was paid in full. I made a payment of $510 which was all the money I had at the time and the account continued to accrue late fees. I now have the money to make the payment but I wanted to know if I could dispute late fees because I made an attempt to pay some of the amount due and reached out to make a payment plan. I was also unemployed during this time and was not able to pay the amount in full. Will I be expected to get a lot of push back from the school if I do try to dispute late fees?
The late fees were assessed because your payments were late. I do not see a legitimate argument for having the late fees waived - but you certainly can try to negotiate a reduction in the amount owing.

You might want to read the "sticky note" at the head of the debt collection forum on "negotiating a settlement." The tips were written by an attorney who was once a debt collector.

Good luck.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Just to touch on something that was implied in Quincy's response: Yours is not a legal question. You will need to communicate with folks who are billing you and work something out.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">