• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cable issue

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

WillD4

Property was recently purchased by a new company. Because they didn't like the way that the cable lines were run they had the lines to a total of 18 apartments cut and removed. The problem with my is that I'm a work from home associate and this affects my work/job. When I spoke to the property management, they advised that cant do anything and that I just have to wait until the issue is resolved. Is there any recourse for this?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I would suggest that you find another means to get your internet access. Perhaps through a cellular hot-spot. This applies anywhere in the world (as a first step).

quincy

Atlanta Ga
Thank you for providing the name of your state.

I agree with Zigner and the property management company that you will have to find an alternate means of internet access until whatever it was that led to the cable line issues can be resolved, as inconvenient to you as it might be.

LdiJ

You probably don't want to renew your lease when it come up. You will want to find somewhere else to live. I think its appalling that they had so little regards for their tenants that they simply cut the cable lines without having a replacement setup in place. Its the height of arrogance. However, it is what it is.

quincy

It might not be “arrogance” at all. It might have been a necessary move for city or safety reasons.

LdiJ

It might not be “arrogance” at all. It might have been a necessary move for city or safety reasons.
Its not very likely. The cable company had to have had permits to make the original installation. However, WillD4 can you clarify what the problem was?

quincy

Its not very likely. The cable company had to have had permits to make the original installation. However, WillD4 can you clarify what the problem was?
It is as likely as anything. The original installation might have needed updating and/or a condition of the recent property sale.

FarmerJ

Have you called your local landline telephone company to learn how much DSL stand alone or with local telephone is ? BTW if your LL were to cut telephone company lines its darn good odds they have a legal department who has experience going after property owners who damage phone co lines on purpose ( since they have been around a lot longer ) Here at home our DSL services a Roku box , a Voip telephone service , a lot of video watching at this machine and rarely do we ever have a problem.

quincy

I have a feeling that the new owner did not just go out and cut and remove lines on his own. I suspect there was a good legal reason for the removal.

TigerD

Landlords rarely spend money they don't have to spend. Removing and replacing lines is expensive. What does your lease say about the service? What does the cable company say?

LdiJ

I have a feeling that the new owner did not just go out and cut and remove lines on his own. I suspect there was a good legal reason for the removal.
New landlords and new management companies do weird things more often than one might think. Cutting down cable lines without a plan in place to immediately switch the service over to something else smacks of idiocy rather than a good legal reason.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">