• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cal-Cobra

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jrdatla

I along with my spouse were been under the group health insurance coverage from October 2000. My services were terminated on February 7th 2001. My employer has informed the insurance company about my termination on March 7th (within 30 days as required by law).

After me contacting the insurance company on March 27th, they have send a packet for the extended coverage under Cal-cobra which i received on April 4th 2001. However it was said that Myself or my the Dependents can elect the coverage individually under the cal-cobra coverage before May 23rd. The letter was dated March 28th but the postal stamp shows it as posted on April 4th.

So, I have filled the Application form for extending the coverage for my spouse alone on April 26th along with a cheque for all the premiums till June. The amount was withdrawn from my bank on May 2nd. I have not heard anything for two weeks from the insurance company.

When i contacted them last week (May 16th), they said that they cannot extend the coverage for my spouse under CAL-COBRA as she donot have a Social security No. (My spouse is on an H4 Dependent VISA and will not have a social Security no). they said that they were contacting the legal department.

I have not been told any decision yet. They also told that she can get the coverage if i also elect the CAL-COBRA coverage. So, I have faxed them a letter stating that if they cannot extend the covergage to my spouse alone, then I too wish to elect the CAL-COBRA coverage too so that my spouse can be covered under the same. I have even send a cheque for the balance amount on May 22nd 2001. (within their Deadline).

Is it not possible to get the coverage to my spouse under CAL-COBRA alone if she doesnot have a SS#?

Will My Fax messages and my letter stating my election of CAL-COBRA coverage along with the cheque for the balance amount be taken into consideration for extending the coverage for both of us, though in the initial application, i have not elected the coverage?

Thanking you

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">