• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cal. Student Aid Commission (stud. loan)-Suit filed-help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Holisticgal

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
In California. I am close to Sacramento. I requested a student loan discharge due to disability (ssi case is currently under appeal), and was denied. The only recourse to appeal that denial was to file a suit against the CA Student Aid Commission in Federal District Court. I did so, under pro se (due to time crunch only), several months ago. I need to find an attorney to take this case ASAP. Here are the questions:
1. What type of law is this, and how do I go about finding an attorney to take this on contingency? (The ssi disability attorneys I spoke to do not practice in Federal Court and do not know about this type of law.) Due to illness, I have no income.
2. How can I find one firm to handle *both* the ssi disability appeal, AND this case? Is this likely?
3. How/where do I research other similar cases as this (I cannot be the only one ever to appeal a discharge denial and file a case) and what their outcomes were?
The illness is *disabling fatigue* most likely due to chemical and pesticide exposure in my youth that has not yet resolved. Immune system dysregulation is also present.
I owe the court a status update report in the next couple days, and need to move fast. PLEASE DIRECT ME. Thank you!

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
In California. I am close to Sacramento. I requested a student loan discharge due to disability (ssi case is currently under appeal), and was denied. The only recourse to appeal that denial was to file a suit against the CA Student Aid Commission in Federal District Court. I did so, under pro se (due to time crunch only), several months ago. I need to find an attorney to take this case ASAP. Here are the questions:
1. What type of law is this, and how do I go about finding an attorney to take this on contingency? (The ssi disability attorneys I spoke to do not practice in Federal Court and do not know about this type of law.) Due to illness, I have no income.
2. How can I find one firm to handle *both* the ssi disability appeal, AND this case? Is this likely?
3. How/where do I research other similar cases as this (I cannot be the only one ever to appeal a discharge denial and file a case) and what their outcomes were?
The illness is *disabling fatigue* most likely due to chemical and pesticide exposure in my youth that has not yet resolved. Immune system dysregulation is also present.
I owe the court a status update report in the next couple days, and need to move fast. PLEASE DIRECT ME. Thank you!
Click the link at the bottom of your thread that says "find an attorney"

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">