• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Calculating when 1 parent purposely doesnt work

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Reqless607

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Montana

From what I have heard, and from what I seen with the free child support calculators for Montana, they ask for both custodial and non custodial income to help calculate the amount....I am wondering what do they base the custodial parents income on if she can work and has had full time jobs (min wage) throughout her life but refuses to keep a job and now doesn't work and will not be working again because her husband provides the income.

I know there are other factors that are used to help calculate support but when the amount automatically increases if you put $0 income and I hope there is a method they will use when calculating since the custodial parent simply doesn't work because she doesn't have to.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

From what I have heard, and from what I seen with the free child support calculators for Montana, they ask for both custodial and non custodial income to help calculate the amount....I am wondering what do they base the custodial parents income on if she can work and has had full time jobs (min wage) throughout her life but refuses to keep a job and now doesn't work and will not be working again because her husband provides the income.

I know there are other factors that are used to help calculate support but when the amount automatically increases if you put $0 income and I hope there is a method they will use when calculating since the custodial parent simply doesn't work because she doesn't have to.
Ask that she be imputed an income of the minimum wage x 40 hours per week.

Ladyback1

Montana has a child support packet that is completed by both parents, and it's based on prior income, current income and each parties expenses. The free child support calculators are but an estimate, and aren't terribly accurate for Montana. (it's not based solely on income) I know that once the amount is "set" (assuming you will be going through the state Child Support Enforcement Div *CSED*), if either party requests a modification, it is based on the prior 3 years of income. And I *highly* recommend going through CSED to pay/receive payment of child support--it protects both parties.

Please, please, please, tell me that you have an attorney?? Montana family law can be difficult to navigate alone. (and yes, I'm in Montana! Divorced in Montana roughly 5 years ago)

Just Blue

So who are you? Dad or the girlfriend?

Px Hx.

ETA: Or you the Aunt withthe account?https://forum.freeadvice.com/marriage-domestic-partnerships-other-family-law-matters-45/challenging-irrebuttable-presumption-paternity-495072.html

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">