• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

California 6 month waiting period

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

California
I received my fl-190 and fl- 180 with a date of 8-6-18 which is before the '6 month waiting period' so is it official?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Perhaps you'd get a better response if you give a bit more information or context. We aren't all aware of what every form in every state might mean, and no one is going to spend time looking it all up. Thanks.

Basically it is the judgment. In California's there is a "mandatory 6 month waiting period" my judgment date is before the 6 months

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
6 month waiting period for what? No one here can operate in a vacuum. It's like asking "is this normal for a 6 mo old?" without ever telling what "this" is...

Last edited:

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
6 month waiting period for what? No one here can operate in a vacuum. It's like asking "is this normal for a 6 mo old?" without ever telling what "this" is...
Apparently California has a 6 month "cooling off" period for divorces after the respondent has been served with divorce papers. No final decrees until (at least) 6 months after filing.

I think that OP is concerned that the scheduled date for the judgement is before those 6 months are up.

Apparently California has a 6 month "cooling off" period for divorces after the respondent has been served with divorce papers. No final decrees until (at least) 6 months after filing.

I think that OP is concerned that the scheduled date for the judgement is before those 6 months are up.

Yes that is my concern. The decree is finalized before the 6 months

California has a 6 month "cooling off" period for divorces after the respondent has been served with divorce papers. No final decrees until (at least) 6 months after filing.

ShyCat

I'm confused. The title of your post says "60 day waiting period", not 6 months as referenced in your posts.

justalayman

(a) Subject to subdivision (b) and to Sections 2340 to 2344, inclusive, no judgment of dissolution is final for the purpose of terminating the marriage relationship of the parties until six months have expired from the date of service of a copy of summons and petition or the date of appearance of the respondent, whichever occurs first.
(b) The court may extend the six-month period described in subdivision (a) for good cause shown.
(Enacted by Stats. 1992, Ch. 162, Sec. 10. Operative January 1, 1994.)

The divorce is not “official” until at least 6 months after the respondent has been served. The law is not waivable or optional by the courts.

justalayman

Did you look at the date in the box on the fl 190 where it says:

Statement in this box applies only to judgment of dissolution.? That is where they put the effective date

justalayman

What is your concern anyway? The only real issue involved being that you cannot get married prior to that date. Marriages entered into prior to that date would be invalid. Are you planning on getting married very very soon?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">