• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

California Background Checks - Not expunged

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

destro

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Hi, I am in the process of completing a job app (not health, law, education, or licensed profession) and they are asking about criminal history in regards to felony and misdemeanor charges and to provide dates/places/details.

I have a juvenile felony conviction for extortion and a misdemeanor for graffiti as an adult

I have not expunged either convictions.

searching around I am reading that background checks in CA only go back to 7 years. How true is this?

Should I bother even stating my past and if so how much detail needs to be provided?

thanks in advance!

CdwJava

You are free to lie on the application, but a LIE would be a guaranteed job killer. And while the pay background check sites might go back only 7 years, if their background includes conversations with people that know you and they spill it, then you could be exposed as a liar if you failed to disclose the true findings.

However, if these were true findings in a juvenile court, they will not be publicly accessible even if the court records are sought. So long as this is a private employer and not involving a security clearance or government contract that might require such a check, this shouldn't rear it's ugly head by way of a public records check.

Oh, and I doubt that they asked about misdemeanor and felony "charges" as that would be unlawful. I suspect they asked about CONVICTIONS. Read the paperwork and see if they give any caveats, such as a time frame or offenses that were sentenced as an adult.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">