• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

california dui classes

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

greatwideopen

california

Just got a dui in alameda county, ca. Haven't even been to court yet. Will be moving to southern california for work soon and worry and about where I'll have to take the dui classes.

Do I have to take the classes in the county where I currently live? Or can I enroll after my move to southern california and do them there?

Trying to decide if I should just sign up now and get them going and over with, even before I'm found guilty.
A
Also, thoughts on getting a lawyer for a first dui in california? Anything they can really do or do I just suck it up?

FlyingRon

As long as you are moving within California, you should be able to find classes near where you live. The classes are a state regulated thing run by private enterprise.

SIN EATER

At court, the clerk will give you a list of approved agencies who provide DUI classes.

I advise staying in the same county as the sentencing court.

Always ask the Court's permission to take classes outside the county.

Some Judges are very territorial about their orders and their right to make the decision to allow out-of-county classes or community service (it's harder for them to verify attendance). [Most Judges would allow you to take classes out-of-county, but they are incredibly egotistical people and want to be accorded all due respect and kow-tow, by your asking their blessing and approval [and it's in the order to protect you from non-credit].)

First-time duis are usually standard, with or without an atty.
However, you should consult an atty to see if there is any defense to the charge (no driving observed, rising BAC, no probable cause for the stop, machine not calibrated, etc).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">