• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

California Estimated Tax - Line 20 Clarification - Form 540-ES

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Arjuna

As a sole proprietor needing to pay estimated tax I'm using 2019 California Estimated Tax Worksheet, at Line 20 it reads "California income tax withheld and estimated to be withheld during 2019" and I need guidance in how to interpret that sentence. Does it refer to Line 71 ("California income tax withheld") of form 540 for the 2018 tax returns?
Thanks!

LdiJ

As a sole proprietor needing to pay estimated tax I'm using 2019 California Estimated Tax Worksheet, at Line 20 it reads "California income tax withheld and estimated to be withheld during 2019" and I need guidance in how to interpret that sentence. Does it refer to Line 71 ("California income tax withheld") of form 540 for the 2018 tax returns?
Thanks!
It means how much tax you estimate will be withheld from your various sources of income during 2019...which would include any tax that has already been withheld.

Arjuna

It means how much tax you estimate will be withheld from your various sources of income during 2019...which would include any tax that has already been withheld.
Thank you @LdiJ !
So if I don't have any W2 or other sources from which CA taxes will be withheld the number will be 0 (zero), right?
Shall I include my wife's California taxes withheld considering I'm married filing jointly?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">