• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

California Judgements-Non renewal

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ferrari789

California. I have old judgements dating back to 1994 that have not been renewed. Under claifornia law I am off the hook. I am contemplating filing. What is the effect under bankruptcy law? Thanks

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Ferrari789 said:
California. I have old judgements dating back to 1994 that have not been renewed. Under claifornia law I am off the hook. I am contemplating filing. What is the effect under bankruptcy law? Thanks

My response:

If the judgments haven't been renewed, then why are you concerned about BK?

IAAL

Ferrari789

California Judgements - non renewal

California. I have other judgements that I need to care off. The non renewal judgements (2) - there was a question whether they could be discharged. Thanks

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Ferrari789 said:
California. I have other judgements that I need to care off. The non renewal judgements (2) - there was a question whether they could be discharged. Thanks

My response:

There is no question. Once a judgment goes beyond the 10 year period without renewal, the non-renewal acts like a Statute of Limitations. Therefore, the judgments are barred from ever being collected; hence, no need to list them on a BK Petition; i.e., there's nothing left of them to "discharge."

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">